Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Planes Game Hunting Rifle

To taking this away from the 404 thread; I like guns (duh), in particular I like old guns and calibers (I really couldn’t give a toss about BC calculations, plastic stocks, tripods, wind drift and the impact of coriolis force n the bullet when sling over a mile to the intended target.

Most of my hunting is bushveld but it’s always nice to have a rifle in your battery that can reach that extra distance in the event you want to shoot springbuck or gemsbuck in the Kalahari. The two options I have always mulled over have been the 300 H&H or the 8x68S.

So who has one of the above or hunted with them? What’s to like and what’s to loath?

User

Default Re: Planes Game Hunting Rifle

For PLANES game in the Kalahari, (especially if you include Namibia) your most likely quarry would be the Cessna 210... with thay big flat six up front you'll need some decent punching power, with excellent penetration, so turned solids are probably your go-to option in any of the two cartridges you mention. Going for a CNS hit is probably ill-advised on such fast-moving targets. In Nam you'll potentially score extra points if you use the German cartridge.

For PLAINS game, Webster is probably your goto guy on the 300H&H, and Gert Odendaal on the 8x68S.

Hat, coat, door....

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

LOL oops PLAINS game, plains game!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

And then what bullets will you use in your golden oldie?

User

CorditeCrazy, as pointed out previously, you can never mention a .300H&H Magnum in the same sentence as a 8x68S. The .300 H&H Magnum`s breath runs out at a 220 gn bullet at long range hunting /shooting, the 8x68S has just warmed up , shooting a 220 gn bullet at a 1000 meter ghong, the 8x68S then excels through to a 250 gn bullet at long distance hunting /shooting...please forget about the 300H&H Magnum with it`s high pressures , teeth rattling recoil, flinch inducing thump and buy a 8x68S the flagship of German design..

User

Gert, while we are busy comparing, let me ask a few genuine questions.

What brass is avail for the x68, I know of RWS and Norma, but I have never seen any brass on a shelf for the x68.
    Bullets, equally scarce, so again, what 250gr bullets are you referring to, I know barnes maxes out at 200gr, but only the TSX, and swift maxes out at 220gr.
    Target bullets in 8mm are barely made, while the market for 30 cal is huge.
    You will always find a decent target and hunting bullet in 30 cal in SA, you can chose from really high BC bullets to strong bullets in all flavors, the same cannot be said for the x68.

I have this sneaky feeling that if you create a list of pros vs cons, when comparing these two for plains game, the 300H&H will come out on top every single time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Gert, while we are busy comparing, let me ask a few genuine questions.

What brass is avail for the x68, I know of RWS and Norma, but I have never seen any brass on a shelf for the x68.
    Bullets, equally scarce, so again, what 250gr bullets are you referring to, I know barnes maxes out at 200gr, but only the TSX, and swift maxes out at 220gr.
    Target bullets in 8mm are barely made, while the market for 30 cal is huge.
    You will always find a decent target and hunting bullet in 30 cal in SA, you can chose from really high BC bullets to strong bullets in all flavors, the same cannot be said for the x68.

I have this sneaky feeling that if you create a list of pros vs cons, when comparing these two for plains game, the 300H&H will come out on top every single time.
    Messor, you are quite correct as alwaysThat is why not every hunter will own a 8x68S or a 404 Jeffery, they are not the everywhere available / every day calibers.Some of us have to be content with the normal everyday rifle caliber, others have the privileged to own these spectacular , great , not your everyday calibers....
    Keep in mind, when purchasing a rifle, every person will stock pile for this rifle over a period of time, even a rare type of rifle owner has a lot of ammo/brass/bullets , there is not one rifle owner, scarce or everyday available rifle caliber that the owner do not have enough ammo/brass/bullets, it is just how the cookie crumbles..

Messor, you are touching a sensitive subject in regards to bullets /brass availability. I really try to support our own companies /manufactures of brass and bullets, keep in mind I am a average hunter, hunting two or three times a year if I am lucky, so I purchase from a local manufacturer, Hansie Minnaar, he is but only one local , there are numerous South African bullet manufacturers that can supply us local hunters with bullets/brass ect. The advantage I receive by buying local, I can order custom made bullet weights from Hansie Minnaar , custom drawn brass from Hansie Minnaar, this enable me to stock pile as many bullets/brass for a scarce caliber rifle....I really hope more local hunters will follow suite , and support our local manufacturers , since they themselves are hunters....

User

Have you considered a 7x64 Brenneke? One of the best plains game cartridges ever made. And its a classic, its German and components are relatively easily available. Load it with 120 or 140g monos and you are close to magnum velocities, and more than capable of taking out a Gemsbok at 300m.

User

CorditeCrazy, as pointed out previously, you can never mention a .300H&H Magnum in the same sentence as a 8x68S. The .300 H&H Magnum`s breath runs out at a 220 gn bullet at long range hunting /shooting, the 8x68S has just warmed up , shooting a 220 gn bullet at a 1000 meter ghong, the 8x68S then excels through to a 250 gn bullet at long distance hunting /shooting...please forget about the 300H&H Magnum with it`s high pressures , teeth rattling recoil, flinch inducing thump and buy a 8x68S the flagship of German design..
    There are those who use rifles as practical tools, those who actually understand that cartridges are less important than bullets and shot placement, those that actually have to use a rifle on a daily basis.

Then there are those who consider rifles to be toys and who believe certain cartridges to posses almost magical powers, despite the fact that they are often impractical and often not as efficient as their owners believe them to be.

It is similar to believing that a C96 Broomhandle Mauser is a better self defense gun than a Glock 19 because it looks cool and fires an obsolete cartridge.

There is nothing wrong with either viewpoint, as long as your livelihood, or life, does not depend on it.

As for planes, my personal preference is the 35mm Oerlikon mated to a Fleudermaus fire control system.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    There are those who use rifles as practical tools, those who actually understand that cartridges are less important than bullets and shot placement, those that actually have to use a rifle on a daily basis.

Then there are those who consider rifles to be toys and who believe certain cartridges to posses almost magical powers, despite the fact that they are often impractical and often not as efficient as their owners believe them to be.

It is similar to believing that a C96 Broomhandle Mauser is a better self defense gun than a Glock 19 because it looks cool and fires an obsolete cartridge.

There is nothing wrong with either viewpoint, as long as your livelihood, or life, does not depend on it.

As for planes, my personal preference is the 35mm Oerlikon mated to a Fleudermaus fire control system.
    TStone, there are only a few of you living with a rifle in hand daily, an occupation, you would view the use of a Dangerous game rifle totally different than me..although both of us, you the professional , me the average sport hunter for table fair/biltong, have to abide by aspects like shot placement, hunting skills , proficiency of rifle /gun skills ect. Where shooting a rifle is but one part of a wide ranges of aspects in regards to rifle calibers and hunting..
    The main difference is my preference in regards to a plane is the Poseidon Drone, I can use it while hunting as well as rock and surf fishing...

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast