Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    User

Default Re: Planes Game Hunting Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    The license for the 300WM was approved last week, awesome sauce! Now to scope it and develop a load. My goal is to get it Gemsbuck ready.
    I have used a .300 win mag extensively for hunting since 2000, to the extent that I wore out two barrels and had the third one set back and re-chambered a while ago. In my, not so humble, opinion it is the perfect antelope cartridge.

I have used hunting bullets ranging from 150gr to 220gr with success but believe that the best all round hunting load is a monolithic expanding bullet (think Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady GMX and Peregrine VLR4) of 165gr - 180gr at 2900 to 3000 fps. This load will work for everything from springbok to a large eland bull.

As for scopes, a 3-9x40/3.5-10x40 from Leupold will very competently take care of all your hunting needs. If you have money to spare and feel that you want (you won't really need) more magnification, have a look at the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Thanks TStone. I was thinking the same for a load and will be quite happy with 165-180 Barnes. I am looking at the Vortex Crossfire Ii 6-24 x 50.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Thanks TStone. I was thinking the same for a load and will be quite happy with 165-180 Barnes. I am looking at the Vortex Crossfire Ii 6-24 x 50.
    Be careful with scopes with too high a lower magnification. 6x easily becomes too much for close range shots, especially at moving animals. And, I know, you are not going to be shooting at moving animals. Until you need to follow up a wounded animal in thick brush. I have a 6.5-20x50 Leupold on my Creedmoor at the moment and I am actively looking for a replacement for this very reason.

4x is about as high as I would go for the lower magnification, especially if you are ever going to use the rifle for bushveld hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Until you need to follow up a wounded animal in thick brush. I have a 6.5-20x50 Leupold on my Creedmoor at the moment and I am actively looking for a replacement for this very reason.
    They gonna ban you from the creedmoor club, only shots over 300m are considered ethical creedmoor hunting.
    And NO creedmoor hunter follows up wounded animals in thick brush, they don't know how.

It's best you go back to the sweed, not to damage the creeds reputation any further.

User

I belong to no club. Don't joke about the Swede, I'm already tempted by that Howa in the for sale thread :)

User

Don't joke about the Swede, I'm already tempted by that Howa in the for sale thread :)
    Ha, I knew it:)

User

Be careful with scopes with too high a lower magnification. 6x easily becomes too much for close range shots, especially at moving animals. And, I know, you are not going to be shooting at moving animals. Until you need to follow up a wounded animal in thick brush. I have a 6.5-20x50 Leupold on my Creedmoor at the moment and I am actively looking for a replacement for this very reason.

4x is about as high as I would go for the lower magnification, especially if you are ever going to use the rifle for bushveld hunting.
    Ok thank you, that makes sense. this rifle will be dedicated to kalahari/karoo type of shooting. When it comes to the bush I have my trusty 375H&H with a 2-7x33 Leupold

User

I belong to no club. Don't joke about the Swede, I'm already tempted by that Howa in the for sale thread :)
    There is a wise old adage of "he who dies with the most toys win". Its wise and old for a reason

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13