Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Planes Game Hunting Rifle

@Gert

I would not mind at all if the OP gets a rifle that he really fancies, but me, being me, would like it more if it’s a working rifle. I think for non dangerous game all our PH members have confirmed a strong bonded/monolithic bullet in 30 cal is preferred if all antelope is on the menu.

So right of the bat, let’s say you use a 180gr TTSX, Accubond, Partition, Interbond, or whatever, the 300 will already reliably kill all antelope.

Now you sit with the OP asking for advice, but then what advice to give?
    Should you tell him that the 300 is more than enough, and components FAR more readily avail, or what, I mean I already answered that?
    Is he asking which is more of a classic, and should I mention to him a 270 is older than the x68?
    Or is he asking which is more beautiful, which have absolutely nothing to do with the cartridge?

Unfortunately all I have to give is advice, based on fact, and that for me means the 300 is a better choice. Questions like these always invokes different responses from different people, that is good, it’s a forum. But then the question dictates the answer, and sometimes people get the answer they don’t want to hear.

Logic is more often than not.....boring.

User

Cordite...either one would be a fine choice.

Available re loading components as well as finding a rifle would tip the scales in favour of the H&H. A good 180gr -200gr 30 cal bullet is all you need.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Cordite...either one would be a fine choice.

Available re loading components as well as finding a rifle would tip the scales in favour of the H&H. A good 180gr -200gr 30 cal bullet is all you need.
    And here I am trying to promote the 8x68S caliber rifle , hoping I will get a few thumbs up , and a few more hunters willing to take the 8x68S route....

User

Don't feel so bad Gert , i just bought a 8x64S , busy with load development , but lucky for me i do have a 7x64 , a 9.3x62 and then also 2 x .30 calibers . For planes , the 7x64 works just fine for me , i will see where the 8x64S is going to take me , yes Messor i use 7x64 brass and fire form it for the 8x64S

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Gert, while we are busy comparing, let me ask a few genuine questions.

What brass is avail for the x68, I know of RWS and Norma, but I have never seen any brass on a shelf for the x68.
    Bullets, equally scarce, so again, what 250gr bullets are you referring to, I know barnes maxes out at 200gr, but only the TSX, and swift maxes out at 220gr.
    Target bullets in 8mm are barely made, while the market for 30 cal is huge.
    You will always find a decent target and hunting bullet in 30 cal in SA, you can chose from really high BC bullets to strong bullets in all flavors, the same cannot be said for the x68.

I have this sneaky feeling that if you create a list of pros vs cons, when comparing these two for plains game, the 300H&H will come out on top every single time.
    Messor, is it really necessary that we spoil a nice emotional discussion with cold hard facts? We all know from experience that bokkies prefer being shot with faster bullets. We also know that an 8mm is a death ray per excellence .

Seriously though, on paper the 8x68 outruns most 300's by up to 200fps in any given bullet weight from a smaller case.

But it comes at a price: brass is available on order just like ammunition. Standard 8mm (.323") bullets get the work done, and for powder one uses S361, S365 or S385. Imported powders will probably give even better results.

Yet you are right, on a list of pro's and cons the 300 will probably be the the top dog, except when it comes to speed.

Both cartridges mentioned by the OP get the job done and both are classics in Africa.

Question to the OP: have you considered the WSM family? Both the 300WSM and the 8mm (.325WSM) perform good om paper.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jurgen Visser View Post
    Don't feel so bad Gert , i just bought a 8x64S , busy with load development , but lucky for me i do have a 7x64 , a 9.3x62 and then also 2 x .30 calibers . For planes , the 7x64 works just fine for me , i will see where the 8x64S is going to take me , yes Messor i use 7x64 brass and fire form it for the 8x64S
    At last , a member who comes from my era and think alike...Jurgen, I think you need to ream the 8x64 to a 8x68sIt will be a shame if there is a 4 mm difference between us...I see you have all the classic calibers??? They do not make them like that anymore..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Messor, is it really necessary that we spoil a nice emotional discussion with cold hard facts? We all know from experience that bokkies prefer being shot with faster bullets. We also know that an 8mm is a death ray per excellence .

Seriously though, on paper the 8x68 outruns most 300's by up to 200fps in any given bullet weight from a smaller case.

But it comes at a price: brass is available on order just like ammunition. Standard 8mm (.323") bullets get the work done, and for powder one uses S361, S365 or S385. Imported powders will probably give even better results.

Yet you are right, on a list of pro's and cons the 300 will probably be the the top dog, except when it comes to speed.

Both cartridges mentioned by the OP get the job done and both are classics in Africa.

Question to the OP: have you considered the WSM family? Both the 300WSM and the 8mm (.325WSM) perform good om paper.
    Jaap good to hear from you , yes, I concur it really is unfair of Messor to bugger up a good story with facts, he has to keep a little "classic" in this discussion. No need to use a scalpel , a custom made forged knife blade will be sufficient...

User

For me rifles are a whole lot more than just getting the job done. For a start, I like not having what every other oke has. I am inclined to the classics.

I hope to someday also include a Great Eight in my collection. Also an 8x57 in a Full Stock configuration for use as an open sight bushveld rifle.

That said, there is another area the .300’s have the 8’s beat, and that is BC. For a plains game rifle, that is a noteworthy consideration. I also wouldn’t consider a 250gr bullet a plains bullet. Even from an 8x68, I would opt for a bullet between 180 and 200 grains. The option to shoot a 250 grain bullet is more applicable to bushveld type hunting. That said, I can understand if you say an 8x68 is more versatile, but disagree with the statement that the 8x68 has the .300’s beat as a plains rifle because of this. For me this is an irrelevant advantage because of the 9.3x62 and hopefully also a .404Jeffery.

To the OP, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, my option for a “Kalahari” rifle would be the 7x64. It can get the job done and then some. Also, the recoil would be far more pleasant. than both the .300 and the 8x68.

I am amused though by people who jump all over the latest caliber fashion. The 6.5 Laserbeam craze a perfect example. The 6.5x55 has been doing for nearly 130 years what the 6.5 Creedmoor has just started doing. The upside is of course we’re hearing far less about the venerable .270

First world problems...what a pleasure!

Banned

Another thing we need to discuss, maybe in more depth on a seperate thread: the 8x68 has the name of being a thumper. But why? Recoil is the result of the bullet moving in one direction and the rifle moving in the opposite direction with the same force.

How much of the 8x68's infamous kicking record is due to old school stock design? The speed and energy levels of the 8x68 are close to the 300 Weatherby, and according to what I have read the 8x68 has a much worse name.

User

Why not get a .338 WM? Same kick as the .300 H&H, but parts are more available than the 8x68. Has a longer range with heavier bullets than both calibers on tap, and it's shorter than the 8x68 so I'm guessing it'll have a shorter action as well. Bullets with great BC and SD is available so I'm guessing it'll pack more punch at longer distances as well.

PS I'm a 338 WM fan. Don't own one, but I don't let an opportunity go by to shoot my brother in law's.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast