Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Planes Game Hunting Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

Yet you are right, on a list of pro's and cons the 300 will probably be the the top dog, except when it comes to speed.
    Ja, but lets for a second only try and debate fact.

I see a lot of references to the x68's performance, but lets just first put it down on paper.
    Give me an example of a bullet, that you can actually buy in SA, that you will load in the x68 for hunting plains game.
    Do this and I will compare it against the 300H&H, also with a bullet you can actually buy in SA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Ja, but lets for a second only try and debate fact.

I see a lot of references to the x68's performance, but lets just first put it down on paper.
    Give me an example of a bullet, that you can actually buy in SA, that you will load in the x68 for hunting plains game.
    Do this and I will compare it against the 300H&H, also with a bullet you can actually buy in SA.
    Nosler 8mm 200gr Accubond

https://www.safarioutdoor.co.za/coll...ubond-50-54374

User

I am watching with interest!

The 300 HH is far sexier and does not thump that hard at all. The 300 Win Mag thumps more!

I have successfully hunted out to 280m with the 180gr Sierra Prohunter and it holds its own against the wind. I dropped a large Waterbuck cow within 10 steps and recovered the bullet under the skin on the other side. I just love the nostalgia around the 300 HH and I also could not care too much about ruining the romantic aura around the 300 HH with facts and stats. It shoots long distance well especially with a slightly longer barrel and 200gr bullets.

Go for it!

Banned

Easiest way of motivating a calibre is the following. My hart pomp tjoklits daarvoor = nostalgia.

I just had to have a 7x64 and had it built on a P14 action. It just works. A great hunting calibre and I will promote it where I go.

The advice I normally give to first time buyers of rifles is that a calibre in the 270 - .308 range (standard, not magnum) is one that will kill from small up to eland efficiently.

The choice the OP is facing is a nice to have. Go with your heart when making the choice. That will most probably go with your ancestry - British or European.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Nosler 8mm 200gr Accubond
    Very good, I will also then use a 200gr Accubond for the Holland

Now, when you are loading a bullet for plains game then surely you are going to do that according to the most accurate load, right?
    Using a 24" barrel for both, ON NODE the speed for the 300 is 2793ft/s, and the x68 is 2815ft/s.
    I cannot use that as a comparison as the x68 will lose from the start, even with it being a fair comparison.

Then I decided to make it unfair, and shoot the 300 on node, at 2793ft/s, but just push the x68 as fast as it can go with S365, which is 2940ft/s, then you get, first the x68 compared to secondly the 300 :

Now, you can use overseas powders, but I am not going to, because regardless of what powder you use, you will still shoot it on an accurate node, the unfair advantage I gave to the x68 above is more than enough to prove the following point.

1: The 300 hauls the x68 in at 300m, which is more or less a good distance for bakkie shooters in Namibia or the karoo.
    Meaning they are identical at that distance, yet the x68 uses more powder and produces more recoil to get there. From that point on, the 300 carries more energy and velocity.

2: The 300 beats the x68 with wind drift, and the wind always blows on the plains, meaning you have a greater chance to hit the vitals.

3: The trajectory is negligible, it never differs more than 1.7cm up to 400m.

4: The 300H&H is much more of a classic, it's older.

5: The irony part, the 300 is even a better choice in the bushveld for this combo.
    Why, well the slower impact speed up close will cause the bullet to stay together more, penetrate deeper, and will cause less meat damage.
    So the 300 beats the x68 up close and out far, despite being cheaper to run, and producing less recoil.

So, Ds, you got the answer you were looking for?

User

Very very interesting indeed.

What would the comparison look like if you did not give the x68 the advantage? I would like to see those numbers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Very good, I will also then use a 200gr Accubond for the Holland

Now, when you are loading a bullet for plains game then surely you are going to do that according to the most accurate load, right?
    Using a 24" barrel for both, ON NODE the speed for the 300 is 2793ft/s, and the x68 is 2815ft/s.
    I cannot use that as a comparison as the x68 will lose from the start, even with it being a fair comparison.

Then I decided to make it unfair, and shoot the 300 on node, at 2793ft/s, but just push the x68 as fast as it can go with S365, which is 2940ft/s, then you get, first the x68 compared to secondly the 300 :

Now, you can use overseas powders, but I am not going to, because regardless of what powder you use, you will still shoot it on an accurate node, the unfair advantage I gave to the x68 above is more than enough to prove the following point.

1: The 300 hauls the x68 in at 300m, which is more or less a good distance for bakkie shooters in Namibia or the karoo.
    Meaning they are identical at that distance, yet the x68 uses more powder and produces more recoil to get there. From that point on, the 300 carries more energy and velocity.

2: The 300 beats the x68 with wind drift, and the wind always blows on the plains, meaning you have a greater chance to hit the vitals.

3: The trajectory is negligible, it never differs more than 1.7cm up to 400m.

4: The 300H&H is much more of a classic, it's older.

5: The irony part, the 300 is even a better choice in the bushveld for this combo.
    Why, well the slower impact speed up close will cause the bullet to stay together more, penetrate deeper, and will cause less meat damage.
    So the 300 beats the x68 up close and out far, despite being cheaper to run, and producing less recoil.

So, Ds, you got the answer you were looking for?
    Messor , i know better not to take you on , but hell , hierdie is om balhare te split so naby is hulle aan mekaar , i think the better shooter will take the win , either with a 300 or 68 , this is too close to call the 300 a win

User

So they both kill dead. But there are very few things as sexy as a 300 h&h cartridge. Like a lucious blond with legs for days and a trust fund that will take care of you if only you promise to take care of her. I will call her Mila then there is Gertrude the stout german wife with little sense of humour and a stern expression sure she can make one hell of a home cooked meal and your house will always be spotless but where is the excitement?

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    So they both kill dead. But there are very few things as sexy as a 300 h&h cartridge. Like a lucious blond with legs for days and a trust fund that will take care of you if only you promise to take care of her. I will call her Mila then there is Gertrude the stout german wife with little sense of humour and a stern expression sure she can make one hell of a home cooked meal and your house will always be spotless but where is the excitement?
    Mila vs Gertrude

LMAO - priceless

My vote goes to princess Mila!

@ Jurgen

Not really - remember that the accuracy node was sacrificed in the case of the x68 and surely it is all about accuracy.

I have an 8x60, not the same thing. Put simply bullets are more expensive and less readily available. With the 30 calibre you have everything from ex military heads to the latest and greatest and in bulk at times. I love the 8x60 and if you don't shoot much an 8mm is fine.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast