Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: What bullet for my 308 for 2019?

BC isn't the bullet property that ensures a cl3an kill... frankly, it is quite far overrated, at least within general hunting distances. Go draw the graphs out to say 300m, for a typical mono, and for something like an SST (and frankly for a bog standard flat base like a Pro-Amm). Out to 300m you don't need to bother with G7 values, you can just use published G1 values. for a given bullet weight, they're all the same. So for normal SA hunting BC shouldn't really be a factor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    I only use monos when hunting. For paper or gong shooting I will mostly use lead/copper bullets.
    How do you manage your brass then?

As an example, I have a 100 high quality cases for a given rifle. Let’s say then I load a 100 SST’s for practice. Close to hunting weekend I’ve only used 60. Do you then prep 20 of the 60 and load TTX’s? You then come home with 14 unused rounds after the hunt. Do you then pull those bullets and load SST’s again? How do you keep track of how many times you’ve shot a case, or when you have applied a specific process to it. It all feels a littlebit deurmekaar to me.

Then, how do you manage the different ballistics between the bullet you practice with versus the bullet you hunt with?

My experience with having mutliple bullets for the same rifle was not good. Even using different batches of cases. Just managing the change in POI was unsuccesful.

User

Different batches of cases for different applications. Keep those 100 cases for sport shooting and get some other cases (it helps if they're visually identifiable) for your hunting ammo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    BC isn't the bullet property that ensures a cl3an kill... frankly, it is quite far overrated, at least within general hunting distances. Go draw the graphs out to say 300m, for a typical mono, and for something like an SST (and frankly for a bog standard flat base like a Pro-Amm). Out to 300m you don't need to bother with G7 values, you can just use published G1 values. for a given bullet weight, they're all the same. So for normal SA hunting BC shouldn't really be a factor.
    Certainly it isn’t, but what it does do is increase your probability of a good shot when there is some wind blowing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Certainly it isn’t, but what it does do is increase your probability of a good shot when there is some wind blowing.
    Yes a better BC gives less wind deflection. But have you calculated how much less?

User

Yes a better BC gives less wind deflection. But have you calculated how much less?
    Let’s compare. Which bullets should I use?

User

180gr SST vs 180gr ProAmm, 2450fps launch speed, 5m/s 90deg crosswind, 300m distance.

If you want to compare with a mono, you'll have to go lighter om the mono due to bullet length limitations. So compare the 180gr SST above with a 150gr Barnes TTSX launched at 2800fps. Without having done the calcs I'm almost willing to bet the Barnes will fly straighter than the SST, just because it's launched faster.

To keep things simple, use G1 BCs for all calculations above (they'll be easier to get), out to 300m it's really not needed to go G7.

User

180gr SST vs 180gr ProAmm, 2450fps launch speed, 5m/s 90deg crosswind, 300m distance.

This is a 25km/h wind, which you find VERY often on the plains.
    Top one is PMP (named incorrectly), bottom one SST.

The difference in wind drift at 300m is 15cm.
    How big is the heart of a normal animal?

The wind does often blow like that out here on the plains. However, if you are going to be making 300m shots in strong wind you need to know what you are doing. You'll need be able to measure or (if you are really good) estimate wind speed and angle, and either memorize the drift vs wind speed, and angle, or use a cheat sheet. Then you will need to dial into the wind or aim off for which you will need some kind of reference on your reticle. When you get to that point the bc again does not matter that much, you compensate for it exactly as you would do for distance.

I attended a very interesting course in long range shooting last year, part of the curriculum was reading and compensating for wind both theory and practical. We shot at ghongs, in very strong and gusting wind conditions and working in two man teams, one shooting the other calling wind, we regularly hit ghongs at ranges of 600m. The same course will be run on the reserve again this year.

However, I don't hunt in a two man team and once the wind get faster than 10km/h I get closer (<200m). Only occasionally, if the wind is really steady, do I measure and dial for wind past 200m.

Excuse the rambling, my point is that if you are a good enough marksman to hunt at 300m in 25km/h wind you'll be able to compensate for the difference in bc.

User

Most people do not have the luxury to hunt as often as you mr Stone, hence they will never have the experience.
    Hell many people don't even hunt on foot, they have a planned hunt each year, and that is from a bakkie.
    So if the wind blows, on this pre-booked date, they shoot, they have no other choice.
    Now even at 200m, the difference is 6cm, 10cm at 250m, if you see the average person shoot then it's not hard to figure out why people miss.
    You see at most ranges people practice they don't get to spin the range around to practice wind from all angles, or read changing wind directions, so regardless of how much people practice, they just don't sit with as much field experience as they should have.

This all leads to one conclusion, people need all the help they can get, BC is one of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast