View Poll Results: Which type of shotgun action?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pump

14 35.00%
  • Bolt

1 2.50%
  • side by side

4 10.00%
  • over/under

24 60.00%
  • single shot break

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: What type of shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Same applies to pump actions, hence some shoot hosts not permitting semis & pumps
    Semi Auto's are also illegal for bird shooting in most provinces if they do not have the magazine block fitted and if caught by nature conservation hunting with more than two rounds in the gun and shooting semi -auto multiple rounds you can and most probably will be charged and even arrested and your gun confiscated.
    I know of a case where a person was arrested and caught red handed by nature conservation representative firing a semi auto when waterfowl hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Semi Auto's are also illegal for bird shooting in most provinces if they do not have the magazine block fitted and if caught by nature conservation hunting with more than two rounds in the gun and shooting semi -auto multiple rounds you can and most probably will be charged and even arrested and your gun confiscated.I know of a case where a person was arrested and caught red handed by nature conservation representative firing a semi auto when waterfowl hunting.
    Sad but true.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Semi Auto's are also illegal for bird shooting in most provinces if they do not have the magazine block fitted and if caught by nature conservation hunting with more than two rounds in the gun and shooting semi -auto multiple rounds you can and most probably will be charged and even arrested and your gun confiscated.
    You're correct, I'd forgotten about that

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    The SAPS shotgun competency is the same for manually operated or self-loading. I have no idea about licensing a self-loader as a dedicated hunter.
    I am aware of occasions that SAPS have wanted shotgun competency and semi auto (rifle/carbine) competency with a semi auto shotgun licence. I'm not saying that the FCA says you have to have both, I'm just saying that SAPS wanted both.

You can licence a semi-auto as a dedicated hunter in terms of FCA but as pointed out elsewhere, the provincial nature laws might prevent you from using it for hunting.

User

I'm pretty sure this will be fixed choke as opposed to the preferred option of multichoke but if you're on a budget it is probably a good buy:

https://www.gunafrica.co.za/classifi...2ga-13303.html

It is probably a field gun so would be lighter than a gun intended for clay pigeon shooting hence would kick a bit harder and correct fit becomes more critical.

User

I'm pretty sure this will be fixed choke as opposed to the preferred option of multichoke but if you're on a budget it is probably a good buy:https://www.gunafrica.co.za/classifi...2ga-13303.htmlIt is probably a field gun so would be lighter than a gun intended for clay pigeon shooting hence would kick a bit harder and correct fit becomes more critical.
    Beautiful gun!

User

I really didn't know this.

Can someone direct me to where you can get the details of this exactly which birds and what provinces,

I do a lot of rock pigeons shooting over crops, do they also fall within these laws, as on any day 80% guys in the field shoot with semi

I am aware of occasions that SAPS have wanted shotgun competency and semi auto (rifle/carbine) competency with a semi auto shotgun licence. I'm not saying that the FCA says you have to have both, I'm just saying that SAPS wanted both.

You can licence a semi-auto as a dedicated hunter in terms of FCA but as pointed out elsewhere, the provincial nature laws might prevent you from using it for hunting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3