View Poll Results: Which type of shotgun action?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pump

14 35.00%
  • Bolt

1 2.50%
  • side by side

4 10.00%
  • over/under

24 60.00%
  • single shot break

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: What type of shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    Why do you exclude semi-auto's?
    They are harder to carry, harder to license, and in the field it’s really hard to tell if they are safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.patience View Post
    and in the field it’s really hard to tell if they are safe.
    Same applies to pump actions, hence some shoot hosts not permitting semis & pumps

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    I don't have competency for a semi and honestly I'm not carzy about self loading firearms...
    How can this be an representative poll with one (very popular) participant not on the ballot paper?

What competency do one need for a semi auto shotgun? And can you get one as a dedicated hunter?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    What competency do one need for a semi auto shotgun? And can you get one as a dedicated hunter?
    The SAPS shotgun competency is the same for manually operated or self-loading. I have no idea about licensing a self-loader as a dedicated hunter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    I don't have competency for a semi and honestly I'm not carzy about self loading firearms...
    There isn't a separate self-loading shotgun competency. The unit standard 119652: Handle and Use a Shotgun includes manual and self loading.

User

For what you want to do with the shotgun, I think a quality over and under in 12ga would be your best option. Go and see what you like as well what is in the price range as they do get really expensive.

Now what I have done is I bought a side by side 12ga and a semi auto 12ga. The side by side is just because it looks incredible and I can go clay and wing shooting with it even though it has more of a learning curve. The semi auto is more for fun on the range, some of them are well suited for wing and clay shooting but they can be frowned upon. My next shotgun will be a old side by side with external hammers and a lot of engraving just for a safe queen.

The side by sides are also very well priced and you can get a quality firearm for very little money.

User

Semi-auto licence can be obtained with "Handle & Use a Shotgun" but you must have dedicated status, hunter or sport shooter.
    It is not difficult to get a licence, just submit a proper motivation (as you would for any other application you submit).
    It is no more difficult to carry in the field than a SxS or O/U.

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    Semi-auto licence can be obtained with "Handle & Use a Shotgun" but you must have dedicated status, hunter or sport shooter.
    It is not difficult to get a licence, just submit a proper motivation (as you would for any other application you submit).
    It is no more difficult to carry in the field than a SxS or O/U.
    Thanks.

User

For what you want to do with the shotgun, I think a quality over and under in 12ga would be your best option. Go and see what you like as well what is in the price range as they do get really expensive.

Now what I have done is I bought a side by side 12ga and a semi auto 12ga. The side by side is just because it looks incredible and I can go clay and wing shooting with it even though it has more of a learning curve. The semi auto is more for fun on the range, some of them are well suited for wing and clay shooting but they can be frowned upon. My next shotgun will be a old side by side with external hammers and a lot of engraving just for a safe queen.

The side by sides are also very well priced and you can get a quality firearm for very little money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast