Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Pre-1939 Mauser .22

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to sell the above mentioned rifle, and I need to establish approximately what it is worth in SA. Finding a lot of conflicting information out there. Also looks a bit different than other pics online.

I can see the following on the rifle:
    -MAUSER-WERKE A.G. OBERNDORF A.N.
    - PATRONE 22 LONG RIFLE
    -Barrel stamped Ch51 s and D.R.P.D.R.G.M

Some pictures...
    https://i.imgur.com/U1zhfvA.jpg

Thanks

User

Default Re: Pre-1939 Mauser .22

From the picture your rifle looks like a standard action Mauser Mm410B

It is however unclear from the picture if the bolt or stock have been altered.
    (a lot of these had their bolts altered to accommodate a scope)

They should sell in the region of R5-R6k if you go by the last Classic Arms auctions, rifle condition & originality depending.

User

I can only see 1 picture there?

Based on that single pic it looks like a model MM420B.

The 2 most common Mauser .22 models around are the MM420B (heavy barrel); and the MM410B (sporter weight barrel). There are differences in the stocks between the 2 models. Both have the same action and both came standard with a 5 round removeable magazine. I can't remember if the sights were the same on both. MM410B (sporter) serial numbers all start with a 2 and are 6 digits long.

For all of them, the stock was matched to the barrelled action and you will find the last 2-3 digits of the serial number also appear in the barrel channel of the stock.

If you can supply a couple more pics, showing the whole stock & a top view of the barrel from the rear sight forward, it will help to confirm the ID, which may affect the value if it is a scarcer variant than either of the 2 above.

I see them on Classic Arms auctions quite regularly. Expected price is normally in about the R4000-R6000 range for the 410 or 420. If you go to the Classic Arms website they normally have links to the catalogue for the last auction as well as a link to prices realised.

www.classicarms.co.za

Banned

Question Re: Pre-1939 Mauser .22

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    If you go to the Classic Arms website they normally have links to the catalogue for the last auction as well as a link to prices realised.

www.classicarms.co.za
    I have visited the site and had a look at the catalogue --as well the images ( on DropBox I think )
    Please could you describe where to look for the prices realised link ?
    I have missed seeing it

I did send them some mail some time ago but never had a reply ( normal for South African companies )

Thanks

User

Based on that single pic it looks like a model MM420B.
    www.classicarms.co.za
    I stand to be corrected, but from what I have gathered in the past, with the Mm420B the magaine is placed adjacent to the trigger guard, the Mm410B the magazine is placed a bit forward of the trigger guard.

With regard to the serial number length; I had it that the 5 digit number was used for export rifles (mainly to the UK) and that the rest all had 6 digit codes?

There is some good info on the site linked below:
    http://www.jagdwaffensammler.de/maus...r-mm-410b.html

User

Quote Originally Posted by vratvark View Post
    I stand to be corrected, but from what I have gathered in the past, with the Mm420B the magaine is placed adjacent to the trigger guard, the Mm410B the magazine is placed a bit forward of the trigger guard.
    Definitely not. Mm410B & Mm420B (&Ms350B) use exactly the same action and the magazine is in exactly the same position for all the magazine-fed B-series. Obviously the single shot models (Es340B & Es350B) don't have a magazine but that is irrelevant here.

The earlier so-called "first series", which had a completely different action (and about 10 variations, with similar model designations such as Mm410 but without the "B" suffix) had the magazine touching the front of the trigger guard but with the B-series it is a couple of inches clear of the front of the trigger guard.

With regard to the serial number length; I had it that the 5 digit number was used for export rifles (mainly to the UK) and that the rest all had 6 digit codes?
    OK, I've looked at 15 or 20 Mm410B's here in SA over the last few years and all had 6 digits starting with 2. But your mention of UK rang a bell and I was curious enough to go and look this up instead of just working from memory. John Speed's Book "Mauser smallbores" which is probably the definitive source on these rifles says the following on pgs 90-92 about the Mm410B:

"This model seems to have had a very specific SN range between 200xxx - 223xxx, which also covers the post-1940 period, although several examples have been encountered within a rare special early five-digit SN range. These were exported to England and so the number range could have been specially set aside for some British distributor, or perhaps have been a special Mauser designation."

You were kind of right!

User

This is an amazing resource for Mauser Rimfire rifle owners and collectors

Mauser Smallbores: Sporting,Target & Training Rifles by Jon Speed

https://www.amazon.com/Mauser-Smallb.../dp/0889352445

User

You were kind of right!

Out of interest, are you a collector of these?
    My father in law have a Mm410B with 5 digit sn# that his dad imported just after the war.
    Unfortunately he had it de-activated when the then "new" FCA was implemented in early 2000s.

User

Out of interest, are you a collector of these?
    My father in law have a Mm410B with 5 digit sn# that his dad imported just after the war.
    Unfortunately he had it de-activated when the then "new" FCA was implemented in early 2000s.
    I like them because they are just so well made - really built to a high standard that one doesn't often see. Although they're all 80-ish years old now, they can still hold their own accuracy wise against modern rifles. I've got a couple of them as part of a collection of .22 rifles but I'm more like a fan of them than a pure collector.

Pity your FIL's one is deactivated.

User

Thanks for your input everyone! Appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast