Thread: Second Handgun

User

Default Second Handgun

Hello fellow members

I reason to believe that my question may be rhetorical to some however i do not have a better platform other than the GS to ask this and i believe there is never a stupid question.
    I have been licensed and acquired my license under S13, I am happy with my choice in handgun but i do think a secondary piece is necessary for obvious reasons(in the even that i have to use it).
    How have fellow members gone about acquiring their second handguns for carry? Under which section should i acquire subsequent handguns, Im a novice please dont butcher me.
    Thank you for your responses in advance.

Letodi

Default Re: Second Handgun

As far as I know, in RSA we can't aquire a second license for carrying, but occasional or competitive sport shooting license should do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

There is no "licence for carry" in SA.

Carrying your licenced firearm is a legal action as long as its done according to the act.

If you are not a dedicated sport shooter or collector, a section 15 licence for occasional sport shooting would be the logical choice. A person may have one handgun under S15 in addition to the one under S13, as long as they have fewer than four total firearms between the two

User

Thank you SLR

User

It is an extremely good idea, many people have done it, including myself. S15 OSS would be ideal until such time that you accquire DSS, also note that if both your S13&15 are the same caliber you can possess 400 rounds (2x200). Something to consider is possibly acquiring a smaller firearm for NPE environments eg like a double stack compact Glock 19 and a single stack Glock 43 or a Glock 17 and 26 etc.

Here is a useful article on the subject:
    http://paratus.info/2017/10/31/3083/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    It is an extremely good idea, many people have done it, including myself. S15 OSS would be ideal until such time that you accquire DSS, also note that if both your S13&15 are the same caliber you can possess 400 rounds (2x200). Something to consider is possibly acquiring a smaller firearm for NPE environments eg like a double stack compact Glock 19 and a single stack Glock 43 or a Glock 17 and 26 etc.

Here is a useful article on the subject:
    http://paratus.info/2017/10/31/3083/
    Thanks Bjorn881, I am actually quite fond of Gideon's writing. Thanks for the simplification. With a G19 that I may train carry and compete with the next best sensible purchase will most likely be a single stack ie G43. Ta

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk