User

Default 180gr Winchester Ranger SXT Rounds in .40 S&W?

Good morning Fellow Gunsiter's,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had any experience (good or bad!) in terms of using the 180gr Winchester Ranger SXT rounds in .40 S&W?

More specifically from a Personal Defense point of view and in terms of 'tests' having been conducted, Do these rounds offer good expansion and penetration capabilities?

Thanks as always for your input

Kind regards,
    RobertC
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

User

Default Re: 180gr Winchester Ranger SXT Rounds in .40 S&W?

Basically the gen 2 Black Talon. A good load but often the prices asked are pathetic. If you can get enough to carry and test properly at a reasonable price grab it.

User

Just one more (I hope not stupid!) question
    Are there any additional benefits of going with a slightly heavier JHP 180gr round as opposed to a 165gr round?

Thanks

There is a fair amount of confusion over the various loads / bullets used in what many generically call the 'SXT' Winchester loads. The original SXT is no longer produced by them. It used a slightly older bullet design than the newer Ranger T series, although many ammo boxes in which Ranger T is packed will still have 'SXT' on the label while having the correct WW part number for the Ranger T ammo inside (such as RA9TA for Ranger T 127gr +P+ etc.).

I currrently have two boxes of WW 'SXT' .45acp 230gr in front of me as I type this. One is over a decade old and contains the early black coated SXT bullet in nickled cases...part number RA45SXN. The second is the latest 'SXT' Ranger T version, purchased this year, with a completely different copper coloured bullet and nickled cases...part number RA45T. I would trust my life to either (and did with the older black version when I carried it on duty) but no doubt that the latest version works better than the older one.

There are plenty of tests, valid and otherwise, out there of the various 180gr .40 SXT's, and most show they all work pretty well in any version, although it does tend to lose the jacket if shot through windscreen glass...a very tough barrier.

A report here on a 2003 field test session held by ATK (Speer and Federal) in Washington state...

http://shootingmessengers.blogspot.c...-workshop.html

I can also tell you that the current FBI issue duty load is the bonded version of the 180gr Ranger T, so it will have passed their test criteria, which tend to stress barrier penetration more than some other test protocols.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ciappa_r View Post
    Good morning Fellow Gunsiter's,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had any experience (good or bad!) in terms of using the 180gr Winchester Ranger SXT rounds in .40 S&W?

More specifically from a Personal Defense point of view and in terms of 'tests' having been conducted, Do these rounds offer good expansion and penetration capabilities?

Thanks as always for your input

Kind regards,
    RobertC
    IMO a brilliant, brilliant load. My current carry load for my Glock 22.
    I have done some wetpack and water testing, the load expands like a mother****** and the petals are as sharp as a scalpel.
    They penetrate well past the 13" set by the FBI in gel testing, so they meet the requirement.

As BigT said, the asking price is often insane, I was however lucky enough to get a few boxes a year back. Please let me know if you manage to come across a few boxes Robert.

User

Ikor, thanks again for the well research information that you have provided me with - Much appreciated as always :)

Brendank, thanks for your feedback as well

Got a good price on two boxes of the 180gr SXT's so I guess it is time to make the purchase :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by ciappa_r View Post
    Ikor, thanks again for the well research information that you have provided me with - Much appreciated as always :)

Brendank, thanks for your feedback as well

Got a good price on two boxes of the 180gr SXT's so I guess it is time to make the purchase :)
    You lucky bugger, where did you find those? And how much, if I may ask?