Default Rules Question - Light rails?

If an after-market light rail has been fitted to a CDP pistol (which meets all the other criteria - weight, size, etc) is the weapon legal for that division?

Default Re: Rules Question - Light rails?

Id say no.

From the rule book:

"Guns that come with light rails straight from the factory may be
    used in IDPA competition AS LONG AS the gun still meets all
    division criteria."

Also, a light rail is not on the inclusive list of permitted modifications in CDP.

However, this will probably only be a problem in leagues and champs.

Clubs usually don't have an issue with you running outlaw equipment. It just gets noted on your scores.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I do not believe that the tactical rail on a firearm will give a shooter any competitive advantage. The only limit I would persist on is that the weight of the tactical rail should not be heavier that normal steel. I.O.W not weighted in any form and the firearm must comply to all other division criteria.

I would personally not have a problem. Other might.

Thanks for the replies folks. However, the rail is a "factory option" much like the G34, G35 extended slide stops, which can be fitted to other Glock models.

The frame comes with the holes dimpled already and it is a genuine Wilson part. Certain models come with it pre-fitted, hence my query.

That it affords a competitive advantage or not is irrelevant really. It's not on the list of approved mods.

The glock slide stop and mag release story is a specific exception and doesnt take the matter much further.

Depending on 1911 manufacturer I can have comps, extended everythings and all sorts from the factory. Doesnt mean I can use them in IDPA.

The problem is, and I think the rule book makes this point, that once you open the door, where does it stop?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

I'm with SSP on this one.

Like the other day a guy asked me why IDPA doesn't allow for a tactical light. For SD this makes loads of sense. If you need your gun at night then what better to have than a tactical light attached to your gun. It means your grip is the same as normal and requires no more training than when you do during the day with the light attached. OK, concealing it is another matter but not impossible.

But now there is a lot of people out there that are SUPER competive. So where do you draw the line? Before you know it somebody has a tactical light and lead "batteries" inserted to weigh the gun down etc. etc.

Also if your rail is like a picatinny rail it might be more prone to snag if no light is attached. I say might since I don't have a gun with a picatinny rail and have not made quick draws with it from concealment either.

But at this stage of the game the rules are the rules. If the out cry is big enough and the powers that be decide to change the rules then so be it but currently it's a no go.

Seems rather silly to me - a large percentage of new guns come from the factory with a light rail built into the frame. Probably about 70% of IDPA shooters world-wide are shooting Glocks - which come with a light rail.

I agree with not allowing shooters to shoot with a light mounted, but not allowing a nineteen foetsak design to be slightly updated so it's like the tupperware toys carried by thousands of IDPA shooters makes no sense.

Looks like I might have to force myself to be dragged kicking and screaming into the tupperware brigade.