Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    Yes worth it. 410 is a very capable shotgun and your kid will have very many enjoyable days with it i promise you that.

Default Re: Will a 410 be worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    I will convey this message T. Firearm is in Ermelo Mpumalanga.
    Thanks Killzone, it might be difficult if it is that far away.

User

I enjoy hunting,shooting and all things that go bang.
    2 criteria are important...that is accuracy and sufficient killing power.
    With the Stevens,you have neither. The 410 lacks oomph for anything but close up snakes or rats and the 22 part of it lacks accuracy.
    I would not want to train a youngster to shoot with such a budget combo. [personal opinion]

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    With the Stevens,you have neither. The 410 lacks oomph for anything but close up snakes or rats and the 22 part of it lacks accuracy.
    I would not want to train a youngster to shoot with such a budget combo. [personal opinion]
    Or because of the same reasons it is perfect for kids teaches much better fundamentals and respect for the sport and hobby. And just on the 410 and omph i have been on a duck hunt where one guy with a 410 outperformed almost all 12 gauges. I do not believe it should be understimated.

How bad is the accuracy of the .22 barrel?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    How bad is the accuracy of the .22 barrel?
    Most had sliding rear sights the same as you would find on the earlier model .22 Winchesters.
    One would obviously adjust the sight according to the .22 barrel and wing it when it comes to the shotgun.

I would most definitely not take one over a regular .22, the .22 is the more potent weapon between the 2 from a very short distance, and wing shooting is tricky at best with a normal shotty and take years of practice to become good in.

Or you wound something with the .22, now take a quick follow up shot..........
    So the combo sounds like fun, and it probably is fun(ish), but it's definitely not practical.

I have handled a few but never actually shot one. I have toyed with the idea that one, fitted with a rds, could be useful around the yard.

For many years I used to own a nice Spanish made s/s .410, so I know all about the effectiveness, or lack there off, of a .410 shotgun. It is useful for shooting rock pigeons off the roof, even where I live (in the middle of nowhere) I do not like to send a rifle bullet (even a small one) skywards. While I do not generally believe in shooting snakes (I rather like them) I have shot two, fighting with my dogs, over the years. Both were shot with handguns and normal carry loads, a small shotgun would have been safer and more effective.

A .22 is nice for dealing with problems, like the odd monkey stupid enough to attempt a yard invasion.

User

T,there is a certain attraction to a small dainty gun. Just remember that this Stevens is a budget build. It will never be a Brno.22 or a 12 gauge. That said,it will more than likely suffice for your requirements.
    Gertjie87....I am not even going to respond to your post about using a 410 on waterfowl,words fail me.

T,there is a certain attraction to a small dainty gun. Just remember that this Stevens is a budget build. It will never be a Brno.22 or a 12 gauge. That said,it will more than likely suffice for your requirements.
    Gertjie87....I am not even going to respond to your post about using a 410 on waterfowl,words fail me.
    Pre, as I said I've never shot one. Personally I do not really believe in owning guns just for the sake of owning them. Like all tools, they need to work and work well. So far I've managed fine without one, looks like it will stay that way. Thanks for the advice.

User

In point form:

1) Those Stevens/Savage .410 combos are a lot of fun. I have one that has given me as well as both my kids years of pleasure.
    2) Yes, ammo is expensive & difficult to get new, but there seems to a vast amount of it in circulation from people that used to own .410's back in the day. In the last 10 years I've bought 50 rounds (most of which haven't been fired yet), but been given about 500 rounds in various shot sizes & lengths. Ask around & you might get some for free.
    3) .410 barrel on these guns is chambered for the 3 inch rounds (and with a full choke) so you can put any ammo in it.
    4) .22 barrel on mine is surprisingly accurate. Like 3 shots touching at 25 metres. I think this is adequate for an unscoped rifle. I put it down to the .22 barrel being firmly fixed to a heavy, rigid shotgun barrel.
    5) Some came with wooden stocks (Savage?) & some came with plastic stocks (Stevens?). Wooden stocks are preferable because the plastic tends to shrink over time and becomes a loose fit.
    6) I have shot guineafowl with a .410 when I was young, but I think there are more "responsible" choices available. Pigeons & short range it is fine but at long range (25 metres +) there are big gaps between the pellets that birds can fly through without being hit.
    7) Having said that, don't underrate it. In the USA (& maybe UK) they have skeet competitions specifically for .410's
    8) Apparently you can make ammo using 9.3x74R; or .303; or .444 Marlin cases. I haven't had any need to do this myself but I know people that have. Very economical to reload.
    9) They were designed as basic, simple, cheap firearms. The advantage of this is that they are easy to fix should they break.

If it's free I'd grab it.

If you google Savage model 24 you will come up with plenty of info. They have also been discussed on this forum a few times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast