Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Loaded Rifles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    There was a time when I had a real job too, so I do understand. To get back on topic, I primed a .300 win mag case with a CCI200 primer, chambered it in my Howa and lowered the bolt while holding the trigger back and then bounced the stock on a concrete floor. The primer fired on the second bounce.

To make sure that it was not a once off occurrence, I repeated the test. The primer fired on the second bounce. So, I have to stand by my initial statement concerning this mode of carry, IT IS DANGEROUS!
    And with a heavier, loaded round, there is a good chance it would go off on the first bounce...

User

Default Re: Loaded Rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    And with a heavier, loaded round, there is a good chance it would go off on the first bounce...
    That is what I was thinking, or go off on a lighter bounce. But I'm not going to do that test...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    In my opinion more AD's happen in the hunting field due to fiddling with firearms because of all the abovementioned ways of carrying them. Then also an oppurtunity for a shot arise, now the open bolts are closed or the rounds are chambered or the bolt handle is lifted and dropped again etc etc. And the shot is not taken and people forget what happened and later we have the story of "But I am sure I made it safe again." (What ever your safe procedure is.) Or when fiddling the shot is being fired.For safety, consistency is the best. Same as carrying for a SD sidearm. Always know the state of your firearm and always do it in the same way.I carry in the hunting field with the bolt closed, round chambered, and safety on. (A thumb safety, only catching the trigger I know) Before taking a shot, safety off. Like in aim, safety off, check aim, fire. If quarry moves away, safety on, carry on with hunt.The problem for me lies not in the safety of safeties etc BUT - GET YOUR MUZZLE AWARENESS CORRECT!!!! WITH ALL FIREARMS AND IN ALL SITUATIONS!!!!!MUZZLE CONSCIOUS, is all it takes.
    There is a lot of good advice in this post.

Virtually all of the AD's, with hunting rifles, I have witnessed happened when unloading rifles or because the hunter had his finger on the trigger before being ready to shoot.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

That is what I was thinking, or go off on a lighter bounce. But I'm not going to do that test...
    Woes 😂
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Ok thanks guys. That pretty much settles it.
    Will have to alter my ways in the veld.

User

I think this has been one of the most important threads on any forum thus far...

User

There was a time when I had a real job too, so I do understand. To get back on topic, I primed a .300 win mag case with a CCI200 primer, chambered it in my Howa and lowered the bolt while holding the trigger back and then bounced the stock on a concrete floor. The primer fired on the second bounce.

To make sure that it was not a once off occurrence, I repeated the test. The primer fired on the second bounce. So, I have to stand by my initial statement concerning this mode of carry, IT IS DANGEROUS!
    Not to be overly dramatic...but this post could quite literally have saved someone's life. It would be interesting to get a gauge from yourself and others like Pre64 as to how prevalent this mode of carrying is in your experience with numerous local and/or foreign hunters?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Not to be overly dramatic...but this post could quite literally have saved someone's life. It would be interesting to get a gauge from yourself and others like Pre64 as to how prevalent this mode of carrying is in your experience with numerous local and/or foreign hunters?
    Digby, it used to be quite popular many years ago, I wonder how many accidental shootings were caused by it. These days, I don't often see people trying to carry like that, the few that do, was taught to do it like that by fathers and grandfathers and apparently the odd PH as in DaavG's case...

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Ok thanks guys. That pretty much settles it.
    Will have to alter my ways in the veld.
    Well, respect for being willing to change, it’s a rare quality these days.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

There was a time when I had a real job too, so I do understand. To get back on topic, I primed a .300 win mag case with a CCI200 primer, chambered it in my Howa and lowered the bolt while holding the trigger back and then bounced the stock on a concrete floor. The primer fired on the second bounce.To make sure that it was not a once off occurrence, I repeated the test. The primer fired on the second bounce. So, I have to stand by my initial statement concerning this mode of carry, IT IS DANGEROUS!
    Thank you for taking the time out to do this test.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast