Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Loaded Rifles.

Default Re: Loaded Rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I checked last night and the firing pins of both my k98 and Howa's are pressed against the primer when the action is de-cocked. The firing pin spring holds the firing pin against the primer.
    TStone as a matter of interest how did you see the firing pin sitting against the primer? I was trying to check my k98 7x57 last night and couldn't work out how to do this?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    TStone as a matter of interest how did you see the firing pin sitting against the primer? I was trying to check my k98 7x57 last night and couldn't work out how to do this?
    Remove the bolt, let it sit forward (as it is when it's closed in the chamber). You'll see the firing pin protrude from the hole in the bolt face, right where the cartridge (and primer) is held. Closing the bolt therefore lowers the firing pin onto the primer.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Remove the bolt, then grasp the shaft of the bold firmly, depress the bolt sleeve stop (little button on the side of the back of the bolt that comes into contact with the receiver, should be on the left below the wing safety) and lock the bolt-handle down to its closed position. You will see the firing pin protruding.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Thanks Chaps, will try again tonight

On the K98 action there is a "camming" action when you open the bolt called cock on opening. So just take note that when the bolt is removed and you perform the actions as described, you could find it difficult to cam the bolt upwards into the position it was when you removed the bolt.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    On the K98 action there is a "camming" action when you open the bolt called cock on opening. So just take note that when the bolt is removed and you perform the actions as described, you could find it difficult to cam the bolt upwards into the position it was when you removed the bolt.
    This is true. But if you pull cocking piece back it can be done. Using a meta rod or something like a screwdriver against the part that rests on the sear you pull back and twist the bolt handle.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    This is true. But if you pull cocking piece back it can be done. Using a meta rod or something like a screwdriver against the part that rests on the sear you pull back and twist the bolt handle.
    I agree There are a number of ways to make the returning of the bolt to its original position easier. It is just when you have never done it you may find it a bit difficult the first time. If you Google the K98 action take down you could find a number of advisory tips.
    I usually refrain from fiddling with the working parts of firearms except when it is necessary for a major cleaning or replacing something.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11