Default There goes “gun control”

We are way past the point of gun control having any viable impact on illegal ownership.
    It’s only us law abiding sods, that it impacts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Firearms/comments/aoi9l8/3d_printed_g17_frame_with_diy_milled_frame_rails/

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: There goes “gun control”

It will be an " insider " that will draft legislation to stop this..
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    It will be an " insider " that will draft legislation to stop this..
    Can’t stop it, once the plans are out there, you can’t retrieve them.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

I predicted in a thread a year ago that 3D printing would make gun control legislation useless (well, even more useless than it already is). I stand by my prediction. It even featured heavily in a recent video game (Watch Dogs 2).

Instead of trying to ban it governments should just try to regulate it and use it for good. Who konw, legal gun "Mom and Pop" manufacturers using 3D printing could be an economic boon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    I predicted in a thread a year ago that 3D printing would make gun control legislation useless (well, even more useless than it already is). I stand by my prediction. It even featured heavily in a recent video game (Watch Dogs 2).

Instead of trying to ban it governments should just try to regulate it and use it for good. Who konw, legal gun "Mom and Pop" manufacturers using 3D printing could be an economic boon.
    Better than current subsidized baby boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    I predicted in a thread a year ago that 3D printing would make gun control legislation useless
    So did I. And it already has. Barrels can be button rifled on a hydraulic press of the sort found in any motor workshop and which can be easily and cheaply built. All that's needed is the need, the will and the balls. The big obstacle to free market manufacture is loose mouths and informants. I confidently predict that criminal organisations with deep pockets will start manufacturing their own arms with 3D printers capable of laser sintering.

User

I dont get this thread its not like its ever been difficult to manufacture firearms or buy unregistered firearms. Law abiding people still would not manufacture arms and law breakers would still get them? 3d printing would not really make it easier than say a cnc machine?

User

Gettjie, some components (like a rifled barrel) ar far easier to make with additive processes than with traditional subtractive processes.

I unfortunately have a bit of a glass-half-empty view here, and expect to see some sort of control placed on specific enabling technologies, or (far easier) the source materials. Also, machines capable of manufacturing complex, highly-toleranced components are in themselves, big and complex, requiring precision focussing optics; this is a fundamental difference with the now-common plastic-printing machines, and may in itself may be the hurdle that prevents dissemmination to Joe Public.

Just on a pedantic technical point: "sintering" does not produce components that are suitable for highly-stressed repetitive loadings, like found in firearms. However, Selective Laser Melting produces fully monolithic components, that can also be post-machined.

Many assume guns are only factory made, but a casual glance at Brazil for example shows that not to be the case. Their criminal syndicates can make some pretty good stuff

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    Many assume guns are only factory made, but a casual glance at Brazil for example shows that not to be the case. Their criminal syndicates can make some pretty good stuff
    Same goes for some Central American countries, Pakistan and the Cape flats...