Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Guns & playdates article on Parent 24

https://www.parent24.com/Family/Fina...lives-20190207.

The original article contained a reference to the FCA with the old story about: “In South Africa, rates of violent death decreased following the Firearm Control Act of 2000; it is estimated that this legislation may have prevented more than 4,500 deaths across 5 South African cities between 2001 and 2005.”

On Saturday evening I sent them the following email:

Hi guys

Nice piece on asking whether firearms are locked up when arranging a playdate. Nicely researched and well explained. I have always taught children (my own and others) to immediately leave the area and call a responsible adult (preferably me) if they encounter a firearm.

Just one point I'd like to make about your article. In it you use the often quoted statistic:

“In South Africa, rates of violent death decreased following the Firearm Control Act of 2000; it is estimated that this legislation may have prevented more than 4,500 deaths across 5 South African cities between 2001 and 2005.”

The above is unfortunately a distortion of the facts that has been repeated so often that it has become accepted as the truth. If you look at the date that the FCA of 2000 actually became law, you will find that it is 1 July 2004. It is thus impossible that it could have prevented any deaths before 1 July 2004. Further research will also show that the rate of death by firearm was actually in decline for quite some time before the year 2000 anyway.

The statistic you quote comes from research that has subsequently been discredited by independent research and even the original author of the piece has admitted to problems with his research.

I attach a recent copy of the FCA for your reference (I am sure you will wish to independently verify my statements above anyway), where you will see on the very first page that FCA 2000 did not commence until 1 July 2004.

If you wish to read further on the topic, you may wish to look at some of the following articles:
    http://paratus.info/2016/07/04/gfsa-...search-biased/
    http://paratus.info/2018/02/27/arms-ammunition-act/
    and even the following, where the author was having a particularly frustrating day: http://paratus.info/2018/09/20/sunday-times/

Once again, my compliments on an otherwise excellent piece.

Thanks & Regards

To which I received the following response this morning:

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I’m going to correct the article right now and remove that information.

Best,

Bashiera Parker | Online Content Producer

Thank you to Parent24 for correcting themselves and removing the incorrect information

User

Default Re: Guns & playdates article on Parent 24

Good stuff! Thanks

User

Nicely done!!

User

It's amazing how receptive people are of criticism when you approach them positively. Well done, mate!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Well played.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Nicely done, BBCT.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Good job BBCT!

From the same article:

Chapter 16 reiterates that the licence may only be issued, and the gun may only be used, “where it is safe to use” and if, and only if, the person “cannot reasonably satisfy that need [for self-defence] by means other than the possession of a firearm.”
    382934c25b6d7b70fdbf63d72617d325.jpg

User

Good outcome.

User

Having a three year old puts a whole new spin on your circle of friends. Before it was just our friends and they all know I shoot, carry and hunt - heck the majority of them did the same.
    Now it is like kids parties every Saturday and you end up having to befriend the parents of your kids’ friends. This is an interesting scenario as most of the younger couples are liberals. After a few minutes you run out of general topics and this is when the fun starts. But, I do try and swallow my fast fleeting patience and at least try and see if I cannot win somebody over to the good side. Thus far I have had a mixed bag of success. But some are just too far gone and what I will have to pay for therapy afterwards does not justify the expense of my time.

Interestingly enough I am totally comfortable with letting my kid go to a fellow FA owner’s kids’ party, but worry about what my kid will pick up at the libtards’ place.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post

Interestingly enough I am totally comfortable with letting my kid go to a fellow FA owner’s kids’ party, but worry about what my kid will pick up at the libtards’ place.
    Come to think of it, I feel the same ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast