Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 6.5 grendel

User

Default Re: 6.5 grendel

I think that the "poor" perception of a 7.62 x 39 as a hunting round is largely based on experiences of people firing the round in AK pattern semis using milsurp ammo with resultant poor accuracy & performance. In a bolt gun you effectively have a downloaded .308 and there should be no difference in accuracy or performance of a bullet compared to an equivalent bullet fired out of a .308 at the same velocity (OK, the bullet is .312 hence not directly interchangeable with the .308, but just go with the principle, the animals you hunt won't be able to tell the difference.) I reckon milsurp ammo will be a whole lot more accurate out of a bolt gun than out of an AK, even if it isn't quite up to match standard.

If you look on Youtube there are plenty of videos of guys raving about CZ's in 7.62x39, including the accuracy.

I also looked long & hard at the 6.5 Grendel but eventually went with a .223 Howa. Obvious reasons were cost & availability of components but the final nail in the coffin was that the Howa I was after was only available in SA as a heavy barrel in Grendel but a standard barrel in .223. I thought a HB would be too much for my young & very small son to handle, as that is the main purpose for the rifle. I am still sorely tempted by the Grendel so might get one for myself as well.

Brass is available but maybe not at your local gun shop, you may have to order it. Dies are a bit difficult to get hold of and are typically part of the "limited edition" range of the die manufacturers hence a bit more expensive than eg .223.

As far as I know, the only Grendels available here in SA as factory guns are the Howa mini actions. CZ also makes them in the model 527 but they don't seem to be available here. Both Howa mini action & CZ 527 are also made in 7.62x39 but not sure about their availability here.

Depending on whose account of the development of the cartridge you read, it seems that the Grendel case is based on the 7.62x39.

6.5 Grendel bullet will obviously have better ballistics and fly flatter & further than 7.62x39. In a scoped rifle it's a no-brainer. On the other hand, if I was going to be using it for close range hunting (unscoped) and/or plinking I think I'd choose the 7.62x39 because of cheaper ammo/components and fatter bullet.

User

My 2c worth. The 6,5Grendel, 6,5x47 and 6,5Creedmoor being the new kids on the block all look very dainty & sexy and everyone wants one, but rationalize all you want they offer nothing that the 124 year old 6,5x55 and the 21 year old 260 Remington cannot give you in abundance. Performance wise, availability (and cost) of components wise and although not found in every local gunshop not too difficult to source rifles for them either. The 260 Rem. being an offspring of the 308 Win is probably the best choice considering the ease of forming cases from it's parent or even 243 and 7mm-08 brass.

User

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    My 2c worth. The 6,5Grendel, 6,5x47 and 6,5Creedmoor being the new kids on the block all look very dainty & sexy and everyone wants one, but rationalize all you want they offer nothing that the 124 year old 6,5x55 and the 21 year old 260 Remington cannot give you in abundance. Performance wise, availability (and cost) of components wise and although not found in every local gunshop not too difficult to source rifles for them either. The 260 Rem. being an offspring of the 308 Win is probably the best choice considering the ease of forming cases from it's parent or even 243 and 7mm-08 brass.
    Nothing you say is wrong, but perhaps needs some context.

I don't know much about the 6.5x47 but I can say with confidence that 6.5 Grendel is nowhere near the performance category of the Creedmoor & the 260Rem. Application of the Grendel is closer to something like a 6x45. Think low recoil & a .223 length cartridge with half the powder that a 260Rem or Creedmoor would use and realistic max bullet weight around 130 grains, although one could a bit higher. The "standard" bullet weight for Grendel is around 123 grains.

6.5x55 has the largest case of those you list & could thus be the top performer but it also needs a .30-06 length action, whereas one can use a 308/243 length action for the 260Rem and the Creedmoor.

I also think that 260Rem is the most practical of the bunch as an all-round cartridge, but that dinky little action of a Grendel is just cute!

User

I think I need to go to Humansdorp Co-OP and play with that little Howa and decide.

Pre64 yeh I almost bought a 7.62x39 bolt gun years back for a SHTF slash Bush gun but in reality I think if SHTF it's more about proactive planning than anything else.

I have a fancy for mini actions and smaller cartridges.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    I think I need to go to Humansdorp Co-OP and play with that little Howa and decide.
    Riaan had a nice little Grendel on a green Gunwarrior Chassis not too long ago in the store. It felt a lot lighter than what I remember other GW chassis to be. I must admit, it was a tempting looking piece of equipment.

User

An article on shooting steel with the 6.5 Grendel and the 7.62x39 Howa's.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...iaction-rifle/

User

Nice one T.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Nice one T.
    Seems like the little AK round can reach out there in the right rifle.

User

I've seen just about every comparison they make in the mini action, the trick is the cartridge does not provide the accuracy here, the specific rifle does.
    In rifles with equal capabilities, with loads designed for the rifle, aka NOT factory rounds, the Grendel wins each and every one of them between the Grendel and the 7.62x39.

Regardless, equally pointless since they weren't designed for long range shooting, pretty sure the OP knows this and it ain't his requirement.

So, to SBB, if the terrain is bushveld, take the Grendel.
    If the terrain is plains, skip both the Grendel and 223 and get a 243, not a mini action but much better suited for the purpose.
    Or 6mm Creedmoor if you want some new fancy thing for the plains instead of a 243.
    If the 6.8 SPC was chambered in more bolt action rifles it would almost certainly be something to consider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2