Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: The allure of the Big bore rifle..

Was given the opotunity to shoot a 460 Weatherby this weekend. When i first saw the gun i figured it had a bull barrel....nope just a normal barrel with a very very big hole down the middle. The gentleman asked me if i would like a shot unwitingly i jumped at the chance. He walked to the bakkie and brought an ammo case. As he opened it I thought to myself..."what the hell did you agree to?"
    The biggest round ive ever seen in my life. Biggest big bore i've shot previously was a 375.
    He told me i should ahoot it from the bench....i asked him if i had poepol written on my forehead.
    I loaded the shell (still dont think its a cartridge) and took aim at a clay pigeon at 100m. It all happened so fast.
    I sent a 500gr brick downrange at 2600fps and actualy hot the clay pigeon!!
    Was super worried that after 34 years of hunting this might be the day I get my half moon or full moon or even pirate club membership, but it didnt happen.
    I was preparing myself for a step backward and a dislocated shoulder but i was pleasantly surprised.
    Shooting that gun was the highlight of my year so far.

Us normal plains game hunters DO NOT undertand the numbers. I thought i was doing good with my 7x64 pushing 154gr at 2950fps....now i am not so sure.
    I am dumbfounded by the performance of the big bores. I do not have words.
    Its like taking a spin in your friends Ferrari and afterwards you have to drive your Chico home

User

Spoke to a trails guide once regarding his career etc. So I asked what got him interested . It was actually the fascination of the guides with the big cartridges on the ammo belts he use to see as a kid. The conservation aspect grew on him afterwards!

Anyone who loves beautiful big bores should take a look at safari and outdoor Pretoria.Heym, Merkel, Rigby etc.The Heym bolt action starts at around R120 000 and it just goes up from there.

User

Big bores are like sportscars i have to drive them to compensate for my small, oh look a squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Anyone who loves beautiful big bores should take a look at safari and outdoor Pretoria.Heym, Merkel, Rigby etc.The Heym bolt action starts at around R120 000 and it just goes up from there.
    Next time you visit the gun shop make a few enquiries what the cost of the ammunition is. Your yearning for a big bore will be re- evaluated.

User

Why am I looking at a Zastava 458 win mag? Buddy says you already got a 50bmg. Told him it's way too big & heavy to walk around with. He said "true, what ever blows your hair back"....lol

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Repeatable?

Waiting for prepare2win to make a comment about this.
    I have seen Charles Barrett shooting a empty 19kg gas bottle repeatedly at 400meters without problem with his one-pounder cannon. Makes a hole 2 inches big straight through.
    But saying that, he is far from the average shooter. He hit it also without much effort with a Martini Henry, an ability I can only dream of.

User

I notice members are pointing out to how expensive a Big bore rifle is..mostly double rifles are expensive and some custom build rifles , you pay for what you get...it is only the configuration it comes in of the Big Bore caliber rifle that usually is expensive...a Big bore double /custom made Big bore as pointed out...
    The standard Big bore rifles you can buy relatively for a reasonable price if you care to look around..a standard Big bore( bolt action rifle ) is not expensive to shoot when you re-load yourself ..
    The fun you get from shooting/hunting a big bore is making up for the "costs" . Using it on Big Bore shooting days is much fun...

It is a plains game /bush-veld rifle as well..you can do with it what you do with your small/medium bore rifles as well..to me it is just another rifle to use for hunting and fun...

As with everything in life you do not have to have a reason to own a big bore rifle ..except for a lot of fun you get from your Big Bore caliber rifle..

In contrast to shooting the Big bore rifles I marveled at the small caliber rifles hunters are shooting at the shooting ranges..it`s silent and light recoil sounding like a soft cough while accurately grouping effortlessly the whole day of shooting..it really keeps me captivated looking at a person shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6 x 47 caliber rifle ....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I notice members are pointing out to how expensive a Big bore rifle is..mostly double rifles are expensive and some custom build rifles , you pay for what you get...it is only the configuration it comes in of the Big Bore caliber rifle that usually is expensive...a Big bore double /custom made Big bore as pointed out...
    The standard Big bore rifles you can buy relatively for a reasonable price if you care to look around..a standard Big bore( bolt action rifle ) is not expensive to shoot when you re-load yourself ..
    The fun you get from shooting/hunting a big bore is making up for the "costs" . Using it on Big Bore shooting days is much fun...

It is a plains game /bush-veld rifle as well..you can do with it what you do with your small/medium bore rifles as well..to me it is just another rifle to use for hunting and fun...

As with everything in life you do not have to have a reason to own a big bore rifle ..except for a lot of fun you get from your Big Bore caliber rifle..

In contrast to shooting the Big bore rifles I marveled at the small caliber rifles hunters are shooting at the shooting ranges..it`s silent and light recoil sounding like a soft cough while accurately grouping effortlessly the whole day of shooting..it really keeps me captivated looking at a person shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6 x 47 caliber rifle ....
    Gert, I recently played around with a Sako 375. The owner pretty much used the same reasoning as mentioned by you. Its really started an itch... Will just have to decide if it will be a 375 or something starting with a 4..

User

Gert, I thought about possibly chambering my 3006 in to a 9.3, then realised I will hardly have use for it. Yes an engraved big bore is a sight of beauty, but being poor means I'll never really have a chance to use it on what its meant for.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast