Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,944

    Default Re: BOTTLED WATER - SAFE SHELF LIFE

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Go to your local home brew shop and buy a no-rinse sanitizer or sterilizer. It's cheap and works wonders, and you can use it on everything. Milton's baby bottle sterilizer also works wonders.
    Just remember sanitiser and steriliser are different things. It is actually pretty hard to sterilise something (100% Bacteria killed)
    I doubt that the baby bottle steriliser is that, I think they are just misusing the terms

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,000

    Default Re: BOTTLED WATER - SAFE SHELF LIFE

    Jup miltons is over priced bleach
    Im going to try and explain it like this.
    Sanitizing-killing enough bacteria so that the leftovers is not dangerous anymore just lowering the amount of bacteria. Whatever is left can stil grow and become more again and become dangerous again. This is chlorines and bleaches and ozone as well as boiling of water.
    Sterilizing- killing all microbes and their spores. This is dificult to do.
    You need 121 degrees for 30 min with moisture and 160 degrees for 2 hours in dry conditions.there are some chemicals that can sterlize under the right conditions like QAC but these are really toxic and should be used with care and again under the right conditions like pH
    Preservation-yes those pesky things that everybody is against these days treating it like it is from the devil. “No preservatives” just as good as the anti vaxxing croud. Anyways preservation is creating a condition that is not condusive to microbial growth this can be done by drying, use of salt or sugar or a number of different chemicals compounds.
    When it comes to long term storage you need preservation or sterilization with no chance of contamination. You can boil the sealed bottles at 121 degrees for a half hour or you can add a chemical compound to make the water non condusive for bacterial growth the compound needs to be a preservative that does not break down or deteriorate over time so not a sanitizer.

  3. #23
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,867

    Default Re: BOTTLED WATER - SAFE SHELF LIFE

    Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Just remember sanitiser and steriliser are different things. It is actually pretty hard to sterilise something (100% Bacteria killed)
    I doubt that the baby bottle steriliser is that, I think they are just misusing the terms

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Correct. For all intents and purposes though, sanitised is fine for personal consumption.

    Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    Jup miltons is over priced bleach
    Im going to try and explain it like this.
    Sanitizing-killing enough bacteria so that the leftovers is not dangerous anymore just lowering the amount of bacteria. Whatever is left can stil grow and become more again and become dangerous again. This is chlorines and bleaches and ozone as well as boiling of water.
    Sterilizing- killing all microbes and their spores. This is dificult to do.
    You need 121 degrees for 30 min with moisture and 160 degrees for 2 hours in dry conditions.there are some chemicals that can sterlize under the right conditions like QAC but these are really toxic and should be used with care and again under the right conditions like pH
    Preservation-yes those pesky things that everybody is against these days treating it like it is from the devil. “No preservatives” just as good as the anti vaxxing croud. Anyways preservation is creating a condition that is not condusive to microbial growth this can be done by drying, use of salt or sugar or a number of different chemicals compounds.
    When it comes to long term storage you need preservation or sterilization with no chance of contamination. You can boil the sealed bottles at 121 degrees for a half hour or you can add a chemical compound to make the water non condusive for bacterial growth the compound needs to be a preservative that does not break down or deteriorate over time so not a sanitizer.
    Correct. Milton's is basically bleach, sans the scents and so on. Makes it a bit more palatable. This is why I prefer brewery or dairy sanitisers. The options are many, the flavours are absolutely minimal and they're made for that purpose. They come with instructions, so you don't have to guess how much contact time is needed at which temps, etc. You simply dilute as per instructions, let it sit for the recommended time (usually not the 15 minutes that bleach requires), pour of excess and you're ready to go.

    The options are plenty:
    Iodine based sanitiser, making it completely safe for consumption if you're not allergic: http://brewmart.co.za/shop/index.php...product_id=226

    World-famous acid-based sanitiser, high-foaming making contact time easy to achieve and completely no-rinse, StarSan. Expensive, but a bottle lasts forever: http://brewmart.co.za/shop/index.php...&product_id=51

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •