Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Replacing the scope on a 222?

Hi all,

So I'm in the fortunate position where I'm about to take possession of a Sako Vixen 222 - just waiting on the printing of the license. It's currently scoped with an older Schmidt&Bender 6x42, and I'm considering possibly replacing the scope.

The rifle will be used for paper punching and hunting (Springbok). I'm a fan of Leupold and would have loved a VX1 or 2, but alas they're no more and the Freedom range has a variable 4-12 but with a Tri-MOA which looks helluva busy.

I'll look to give the rifle a try with the S&B but should I look for another option, are there any suggestions? I'd prefer not to break the bank and would like to keep the budget at about R6k unless it can be motivated. Also, I'm trying to avoid mounting a hubble telescope to the svelte rifle.

What's everyone else running on their 222 or 223's?

TIA

Marshy

User

Default Re: Replacing the scope on a 222?

You're going to struggle to find a better scope than the one on the rifle for R6000.

Banned

Marshy, I do not like adjustable scopes because it leaves me with things to fiddle around with and worry about.

Currently there is a Lynx 6x40 (wide angle) on my Sako Vixen in 222 and I am very happy with it.

For hunting and general shooting the 6x40 is more than enough. I get sub MOA groupings if I do my part and the 6x magnification is adequate for most hunting situations I have been in.

The sole place where I would have liked an adjustable scope is on the shooting range when either developing loads, or practicing accuracy. 9x or 12x magnification makes sub MOA shots easier. On a driven springbok hunt I can see myself using a larger magnification with some pleasure.

Schmidt & Bender is one of the best. First get the rifle and get an accurate load, then change the scope if it is really necessary.

Side note: your rifle most probably has a slow twist of 1:12" or 1:14". Get yourself Hornady 50gr SP bullets (https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...24-50-gr-sp#!/). My rifle likes them.

User

You'll hate that 6x40 S&B. I'll do you a favour and swap it for a nice Nikko Stirling 3-9x40.

User

Marshy, I have a Leupold VX2 6-18X40AO for sale. Bit more than your budget, but drop me a pm, we can talk if you are interested.

User

If I may add my 2c's. Last year I swapped out my 6x40 scope for a 3-9x50 on a 6.5x55 and I've been regretting it ever since. For most of the shooting you will do 6x is enough, especially as you already have a fantastic scope on the rifle.

I bought a Vortex Viper 4-16X44 for my Sako 222. Which I cant apply for since Nov18 as CFR must still transfer between dealers.
    Was just over 8000 new so above your 6000. But then again the scope is going to work for years to come.

User

Lynx 2.5-15×50. Very happy with mine.

User

Meopta meostar 2-12-50 on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have a Leopold VX3 2.5-8 x 36 matte duplex for sale. Brand new in box for R5800 if you are interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast