View Poll Results: What magnification do you use?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4x

10 19.61%
  • 5x

2 3.92%
  • 6x

16 31.37%
  • 7x

2 3.92%
  • 8x

3 5.88%
  • 9x

12 23.53%
  • 10x

8 15.69%
  • 12x

7 13.73%
  • 14x

3 5.88%
  • 16x

5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: What magnification do you use to hunt plainsgame?

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboi95 View Post
    I've got different scopes from 3 up to 16x power and yet when hunting plains or bush, 6x power is my choice.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Yip. Me too.. I even Zero at that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Banned

I have 4x on my 308 and 6x on my 222.

Both have served me well. I practiced a little more over the last year or two and realised that I would like more magnification for developing loads and to take more difficult shots.

The thread title asks about plains game. My experience is mostly at shorter ranges where 4x magnification was adequate. The little experience I had with plains game made me realise that I need to practice more, and maybe start considering another scope.

User

Plains game as defined by the hunting ordnance is ANY game excluding dangerous game.It matters not if it is Bushbuck in the thickets or Springbuck in the 'vlaktes'.

Hunting game on the plains is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Plains game as defined by the hunting ordnance is ANY game excluding dangerous game.It matters not if it is Bushbuck in the thickets or Springbuck in the 'vlaktes'.

Haha thank you Pre 64.

Banned

Rev A, please come in!

What does the OP mean with plainsgame? I might have read somewhere that "plainsgame" refers to non-dangerous game. However I generally take it to refer to species living in open plains (Springbok in the Karoo) as opposed to bushveld.

User

Plains game as defined by the hunting ordnance is ANY game excluding dangerous game
    Interesting, I've not seen the term used in the provincial ordinances, only seen it in the national biodiversity act.
    And they don't say game, they say any wild animal, hence that will include birds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Rev A, please come in!

What does the OP mean with plainsgame? I might have read somewhere that "plainsgame" refers to non-dangerous game. However I generally take it to refer to species living in open plains (Springbok in the Karoo) as opposed to bushveld.
    Personally I've always seen it as species that live in the open plains

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    Personally I've always seen it as species that live in the open plains
    Then this poll of yours is flawed, since the majority here voted 4x for hunting plains game, which is not realistic.

Ask a moderator to delete the thread, and recreate and rephrase it so that most can understand the question.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Then this poll of yours is flawed, since the majority here voted 4x for hunting plains game, which is not realistic.

Ask a moderator to delete the thread, and recreate and rephrase it so that most can understand the question.
    You might be surprised. Very few of the farmers and hunters in my are hunt with bigger than 6x magnification. Many still have 4x fixed scopes on their rifles that they use for plainsgame. Might want to look at Chuck Hawks article on scope selection or his take on being over-scoped.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    You might be surprised. Very few of the farmers and hunters in my are hunt with bigger than 6x magnification. Many still have 4x fixed scopes on their rifles that they use for plainsgame. Might want to look at Chuck Hawks article on scope selection or his take on being over-scoped.
    Yeah but were your intentions to ask a serious question, or just to know what people use. What people use have little relevance on what is most suitable.

Who's our most active hunter and PH here for plains hunting, T-stone?
    Ask him if he wants to hunt the plains just with a 4x, I can bet you the answer will be a definite no, because it's not practical, I also have a little experience in this regard.

Big T can also carry a snubby as his primary SD, but we won't, there are better tools.
    Many that does not hunt the plains primarily have the idea in their head 4x is cool. I also know many farmers which use things that have been on their rifle since whenever, and most cannot hit the broadside of a barn.

My question to you is why did you ask?
    If you ask a serious question, then go put 3 springbok targets up, one at 200m, one at 250m, and one at 300m. Shoot at each one, the first through 9x, and the second time use 4x, check the scoring. The second time you will not be able to see what you shoot at, and you would have answered your own question.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast