Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rifle-Kaboom

User

Default Re: Rifle-Kaboom

I think this warrants a warranty claim...

Frightening consequences. Thanks for the explanation A-R , do you think metal fatigue could have been a factor as well ?
    I am now concerned about my WW2 vintage Lee Enfield with its unknown round count.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mac 13 View Post
    Frightening consequences. Thanks for the explanation A-R , do you think metal fatigue could have been a factor as well ?
    I am now concerned about my WW2 vintage Lee Enfield with its unknown round count.
    No.

Normal operating pressures induce stresses that are far lower than yield, nevermind ultimate pressures. only a few thousand shots are a small number of cycles, also, they are not full-cycles (zero stress - peak positive stress - zero stress - peak negative stress - zero stress) but only half-cycles (zero - peak positive - zero). Lastly, for stresses lower than yield stress, carbon steel generally don't have a fatigue limit (i.e. max number of cycles), unlike something like aluminium that exhibit fatigue behaviour at any stress.

Long answer to say that of all the things that could worry you about your rifle, fatigue of the barrel shouldn't be one of them.

ETA: If it's a WW2 vintage, it's most probably a No.4, which all were made with essentially modern techniques and high-quality steels. There are so many WW1 vintage No.1's still going strong, there's no need to worry about the structural integrity of a No.4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    A very small piece of whatever near the muzzle will usually cause a bulge. This can often be fixed by cutting the bulged part off and recrowning. A cleaning patch, which usually has a few layers of fabric rolled around a jag, can slip off and sit in the muzzle. This will usually cause such a split starting at the muzzle and tearing back.

The split is not caused by powder pressure, not directly anyway, but by the bullet getting wedged into or alongside the obstructing matter. This causes radial pressure of serious proportions as the momentum of the bullet, added to the bit of pressure (around 10 000 Psi) left behind it, tends to be hard to stop suddenly.

Look through your barrels after cleaning!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac 13 View Post
    Since there is no bulge directly visible in the photos my vote is for the cleaning rag theory, or maybe something else we have not thought of yet.

Regarding your Lee Enfield rifle:

Rifles generally don't blow up for the fun of it or "sommer net". It is in most cases human error - either faulty reloading, wrong calibre ammunition or something similar.

You should be able to shoot your rifle until the barrel is shot out. At least, that is how it generally works.

Don't lose sleep over it - be careful, shoot it, enjoy it.

If you really want to know, get it to a NDT shop and have them scan the barrel. It should show the faults pretty easy.

Note: I cannot and will not guarantee that your rifle is safe. I also cannot take responsibility of any kind.

Pirate and Ds J, thanks for the detailed and reassuring responses, my .303 looks and feels as good as many more modern rifles so it will probably outlive me by many generations.

Point taken regarding responsibility for information and opinions offered.

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I think this warrants a warranty claim...
    They don't make barrels like they used

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2