Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Replacing springs on rimfire piatols?

Good morning Folks!

We generally advise shooters to replace springs on large pistols every 5000 shots, or as the manual / makers indicates.

Is there any indication or prescribed replacement interval for rimfire pistols?

User

Default Re: Replacing springs on rimfire piatols?

The thing here for me is the availability - or rather - unavailability of replacement springs. For that matter, any replacement parts. It is as if rimfire pistols don't matter.

User

The few that I have used have never given any indication of needing a spring replacement. The springs are generally stressed much less than in a center fire pistol.

An instructor I did a course with when I was still at school, mentioned replacing the recoil spring on a Beretta mod 71 around every 100 000 rounds. The particular specimen had done more than 300 000 at that stage.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by drie57 View Post
    The thing here for me is the availability - or rather - unavailability of replacement springs. For that matter, any replacement parts. It is as if rimfire pistols don't matter.
    I hope to be the legal owner of a 1965 Ruger Mk I pistol. Hence the question.

Brownells and one or two US websites advertise replacement springs etc. The lack of spares and springs let me to the same concusion - spares are almost not necessary.

Am I wrong?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I hope to be the legal owner of a 1965 Ruger Mk I pistol. Hence the question.

Brownells and one or two US websites advertise replacement springs etc. The lack of spares and springs let me to the same concusion - spares are almost not necessary.

Am I wrong?
    No. These guns just keep working.

The Mk1 is the target version with better sights. Enjoy. I have a Standard. Bought it slightly used and love it. I have long stopped counting rounds. It devoured a few 5000 round boxes of the old Swartklip Standard Velocity ammo untill SP closed. Wax on bullets is an issue, clean regularly. Any cheap ammo will work for a while, but the copper-plated ammo is much more reliable.

The Mk1 mags tend to drag on the wax on bullet tips. A drop of oil inside the front of the mag helps to keep them feeding.

If possible get some Mk11 mags. They take 1 round extra, load and feed much better. The new Mk1 mags are just Mk11 mags with a grey base and a limiter on the follower that stops at 9 rounds. I cut it off to take 10.

The grip diameter makes them very easy for kids to handle. All my kids started on the Standard, and moved on to bigger guns once they could reach the controls.

Banned

Thanks A-R, CFR said yesterday that the license "is in consideration and should be finalised any day now".

I can't wait

User

This is also of interest to me, as I inherited a 92 year old Colt Woodsman. I just recently ordered a recoil and firing pin spring for it.

Can't speak for the Ruger but my Browning is seriously in need of a new recoil spring.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Can't speak for the Ruger but my Browning is seriously in need of a new recoil spring.
    I saw that Volquartsen has spares for the Ruger. Maybe check with them for your Browning?

User

First thing I did when my licence arrived for my MkII Target. New springs and trigger

Plus some Mecgar mags

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast