User

Default Shortening the barrel on an AR

I’m in the market for an AR15, but I’m after something around a 12inch barrel.
    The DM4 was on my list, but they never have stock and the DM4 as a rifle also not getting great reviews here.
    I like the look of the S&W, Troy, Windham and some others but none come in the barrel length I want.

Is it practical to get a gun smith to shorten the barrel on one of these rifles, assuming the rifle has a carbine length gas block?

Default Re: Shortening the barrel on an AR

It's not really as simple as chopping a section off.

Firstly the gunsmith requires permission from cfr to do it.

Secondly there will have to be some adjustment to gas ports and buffers.

You will have to find a gunsmith that has experience working on gas guns as opposed to hunting rifles.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Off course it is possible to have the barrel shortened. To get it running reliably, the gas system will have to be tuned as well. Not so easy that part.

Having played with various SBR's, I must admit that I hate the very pronounced muzzle blast from an unsurpressed version. If I ever get to buy another SLR it will have a barrel of at least 16".

Banned

Sorry for the hijack, but what about shortening the barrel on a cz scorpion?It's done regularly in the states

User

Perhaps check with Tactical HQ, saw them advertising AR's with barrel lengths from 10,5 12 and 16 inch. If I remember correctly it was DPMS.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

User

Why?

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, but what about shortening the barrel on a cz scorpion?It's done regularly in the states
    The Scorpion is a blow back action, barrel length has little to do with reliable operation

A lot of the commercial AR rifles are overgassed anyway so adjusting ports may not be necessary if you start with a 14.5 inch barrel. But as Big T said why. You start to lose effective range and with the buffer tube on AR they are not that compact. If you want compact a standard 16 inch AK with a side folding stock with the flash hider off can pretty much fit in your average backpack. A 14 inch AR no way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Why?
    My question too? If for used for action sports (which most Semi Auto's it appears are motivated for), then a longer barrel is better. Especially on 5.56