Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 grendel

User

Default 6.5 grendel

Hi guys

Anyone own a 6.5 grendel in bolt action. Thinking of getting one for the other half. She is recoil shy with a fragile jaw after having a car accident and subsequent surgery.

Mainly for small antelope. She will get by with a 223 easily. I am just kinda intrigued by the cartridge and need an excuse. Brass and dies readily available? Anyone hunted with it. 20 inch barrel are we getting 2400fps with the 123 grain ammo or is that a bit of a stretch?

Thanks.

User

Default Re: 6.5 grendel

Recently got mine. Currently fireforming brass with 123gr SST’s. Once done I think I’m going to move to 108grainers. I’ll use it for centrefire rifle competitions.

My original idea was also that my wife could use it when hunting smaller antelope. It is light and compact.

Now I think she should just keep hunting with a 7x57 instead. A little more oomph and bigger margin for error. After watching American’s hunt with their AR’s, I’ve decided to rather just keep it a range gun. I believe they take on animals that are too big for the caliber. A few of the kills I have seen have been delayed. If I had to use it, I’d limit myself to smaller game inside 150m.

Very nice little rifle though. Already a favourite that has replaced my .223.

Depending on what she would like to hunt, I think you’d be served better with a .260Remington or 7mm08. If you like the metrics, 6.5x55 or 7x57. To make it even more still, add a supressor. You’ll have more options.

User

Thanks Wesley.

I think it is just a cartridge that has grabbed my interest;) as I know a 223 will serve her better. I have larger calibers she can use but want her to get her own. More so if I'm not there she can whack the baboons and vermin that raid the place.

Banned

I am following this. I have the same itch. From what I have read it could be good for impala/blesbuck size animals.

User

SBB..i know this is not what you are asking and at the risk of being labled as 'that guy' , i will say it anyway.

Have you considered the 7.62x39? Howa makes a real sweet bolt action [mini action] in this caliber. Range costs would be kept down using mil.surp ammo.

In case you have not seen it, there is an article in the Jauary 2018 edition of SA Hunter magazine about the Grendel, and hunting with it.

User

It should work quite well provided it is used for the right sized game (basically what you would hunt with either a 223 or 243). I would just stick to game within 150m, think SA Hunter said between 120 and 150m?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    SBB..i know this is not what you are asking and at the risk of being labled as 'that guy' , i will say it anyway.

Have you considered the 7.62x39? Howa makes a real sweet bolt action [mini action] in this caliber. Range costs would be kept down using mil.surp ammo.
    Availbility (or lack thereof) of hunting ammo, and reloading components (especially suitable bullets) make the x39 unattractive in SA. I have a Chinese Shovel gun, and as much fun as it is to shoot, ammo always remains an issue

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post

Don’t you think a 6.5 Grendel allows the OP to shoot much better bullets for the same application?

For a similar bullet weight and muzzle velocity, the 6.5G can launch a bullet with a far superior BC to that of a 7.62x39.

Also, Milsurp ammo, at around R8/round is not very far off what a reloaded 6.5G round would cost. I would bet the ammo wouldn’t be even half as accurate as that of the 6.5 Grendel.

User

You chaps have a point wrt the 7.62x39.
    I have a type 56 and i bought 100 Hornady cases a while back along with a box of Hornady 123gr bullets [interlocks]. I have shot a couple of bushpig with them,loaded behind 25gr of S321.I see no reason at all why 130gr 303 [311] would not work a treat.
    Out of a bolt actioned rifle,accuracy should be good.Killing power...more than enough up to blesbuck/impala.
    Only an option....not stating better or worse than grendal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast