Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Long range shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    As urabus said, a lot depends on the type and level of LR shooting that you plan on doing.
    Quite true... a few of us booked for the long range course at Broederstroom in March. There you can reach out to 1503m. I did some calculations, and with my ELD-M loads in my CM, I need around 21MRAD adjustments. Scope has 24MRAD. I never bought it for 1.5km shooting, so should be interesting that day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    1. Scope- Decent entry LRS scopes will set you back in the order of R15000 to R25000.
    Yissis, clearly long range is not for the average man.

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by GarethBrowne View Post
    You can use any scope for LRS.

To me personally, scopes in that bracket represent the balance point between buying something fairly decent that will get the job done and buying something cheaper and hoping your equipment is up to the task. Other side of the coin, spending more money than about R25000 on a scope is unlikely to provide much improvement in shooting results for the LR shooter just starting out.

If budget is tight, a good fixed magnification scope like ×12 SFWA is an option.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned

Lookup Pietskiet on Facebook, he's using a Howa 1500 rifle with Vortex scopes for long range shooting and if you see how he torture tests those scopes, you'll cringe. But they still function flawlessly

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Quite true... a few of us booked for the long range course at Broederstroom in March. There you can reach out to 1503m. I did some calculations, and with my ELD-M loads in my CM, I need around 21MRAD adjustments. Scope has 24MRAD. I never bought it for 1.5km shooting, so should be interesting that day.
    Awesome, you guys gonna love it! Just a few observations:

1. You can reach out to 1810m now. I could only make it to 1710m on my rig.

2. My 140gr loads @ 2720fps needs 16.8MRAD adjustment for 1503m, maybe just check your calcs again.

3. Try and get your 100m zero as far down on your elevation adjustment as possible. I have a 20 MOA rail and then another 20 MOA of bushes on my Sustac scope rings to get me 40 MOA in total. With this setup my elevation adjustment at 100m zero is 5 MOA above the bottom most adjustment, giving me 60MOA total elevation of the 65 MOA available on my scope (its an older NXS scope; I like it because of the 1/8 MOA per click adjustment). Really spend some time here to get the most of your rig.

4. SFP scopes are perfectly suitable and in many cases, is probably a better choice. My scope reticules are calibrated at 22x zoom and has 1MOA markings out to 20MOA. In a pinch I set my scope to 11x zoom and that changes to 2MOA markings for 40MOA. That being said, ideally you want enough adjustment in your elevation turret, because counting lines when you holding over takes too long and can confuse you; by that time wind has changed again so you have to be conscious of that as well. I hit 1710m gong with my scope at 11x zoom, gongs at that distance are still perfectly visible.

5. Sean Pirie is an awesome guy. He really believes in positive affirmation and it’s great for building up your confidence to get the most out of your rig.

6. Once the bug bites it’s like crack. Little things will go missing in the house, sold off to finance more toys for your LR rig.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GarethBrowne View Post
    Not really. As Bonedoc said, you don’t need the most fanciest scope or rig to get out to 1500m. If you consistently group under 1MOA, you’ll be fine. 1MOA at 1000m is 254mm; I think the gongs are around 400x400mm if memory serves. Being able to compensate for wind (which Sean goes to great lengths to explain to you) is waaaaay more critical than having an Uber rig.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gbyleveldt View Post
    2. My 140gr loads @ 2720fps needs 16.8MRAD adjustment for 1503m, maybe just check your calcs again.
    I've only got a 20MOA rail, and am using Strelok to calculate using the ELD-M loads doing 2725, so that could be it. Really looking forward to the day though. My true aim is to get on target out far before my buddy with his RPR and PMII does

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    I've only got a 20MOA rail, and am using Strelok to calculate using the ELD-M loads doing 2725, so that could be it. Really looking forward to the day though. My true aim is to get on target out far before my buddy with his RPR and PMII does
    Well, Sean will help setting Strelok up so you in good hands. You guys are gonna have loads of fun!

User

tx for all the info

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast