Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Leather water bag : How I make mine for the Black powder hunt

Good, members I made progress with this leather water bottle to where I needed to ram the rice into the bottle to enable it to bulge out making as much space as possible to accommodate a substantial amount of water...then I noticed the mouth opening is too small...I therefore commence with another leather water bottle ...this time I made some changes to the dimension of the mouth..this will enable me to ram in a lot of rice with a thicker piece of wood dowl....

I will for sure complete the first water bottle , I just will use another technique, fermenting corn with water laying the water bottle in the sun for a few days will sort out the first water bottle...
    All the previous steps are still used with this water bottle..another feature will be extensive leather stamping work I will do on this leather water bottle..here is the first drawing I did on the bottle ...will commence with the actual leather stamping...
    The new project:

User

Mr Odendaal,
    You really are a very creative & talented person!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Courtcase View Post
    Mr Odendaal,
    You really are a very creative & talented person!
    Courtcase, thank you Sir, the positive reply really is much appreciated..

User

Good, members I commenced with a second leather water bottle...Why???
    The first one I made I had to stop since the neck/lid opening is too small to be able to stuff it full of rice to enable the leather to expand ....but I did find a solution for the problem...I only need to stuff some "wet mielie pitte" into the bottle and leave it in the sun for a few days, the leather bottle needs to be wet as well..apparently the mielie pitte will produce a kind of yeast that will ensure the mielie pitte to expand ..this will fill out the leather bottle , a huge bulge on both sides ..
    The second leather water bottle...I glued the two leather panels together at the seams...only a thin layer of wood glue..just to keep the two panels bonded to ensure easier stitching work...
    I grooved both sides of the water bottle to ensure the twine will lay flush in the grooves ...

Then it was time to make the stitching holes..this time I made use of steel tridents/small fork type punches to ensure perfect spacing of the holes..

Then it was stitching work again..here are a few photos , notice this time I made a opening that is large to assist in the stuffing process...It seems my stitching work is improving..

Banned

Getting better and better

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Getting better and better
    Let us see what the end result will looks like ..and if it will be keeping water ...

User

really nice project, cant wait to start my own

User

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    really nice project, cant wait to start my own
    Moose, yes, I ma fortunate to have received pine resin from a few black powder hunters on the hunt...this is essential to seal the bottle in the inside all along the stitching work.. I will be completing all the stitching work this coming week....I have a few nice ideas I want to try on this water bottle...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3