User

Question Starting ISSF Air Pistol - what pistol to get for junior (13)?

Hi,

My daughter (13) wants to start shooting ISSF Air Pistol, I'll take her to join a club, will the following be a good pistol to start with? (it's affordable):

SPA CP1-M PELLET PISTOL 4.5MM

SPA CP1-M PELLET PISTOL 4.5MM Pellet pistol uses 12g CO2 cartridge. Easy to load bolt action, single shot.Adjustable trigger & rear sight.Capable of single shot & multi shot.Specification

• Item: CP1-M
    • Calibre : 4.5 mm
    • Velocity: 3-8 Joule
    • Overall Length: 390mm
    • Magazine: Yes (9 Pellets)
    • Stock: Wooden

User

Default Re: Starting ISSF Air Pistol - what pistol to get for junior (13)?

I can't comment on the above, but I can highly recommend the Gamo Compact. It's ridiculously accurate.

http://www.gamo.com/productos/pistol...t-hand-pistol/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    I can't comment on the above, but I can highly recommend the Gamo Compact. It's ridiculously accurate.

http://www.gamo.com/productos/pistol...t-hand-pistol/

I'll have a look, thanks for the info.

User

I have a CP1, and it is very nice and accurate. But probably not nearly as accurate as a serious competition pistol - Also not the same price though. You will need to do work on the grips, as they are not well formed, and I would go for the single shot version. there are also some easy and essential mods to do on the trigger to get it to perform. With mine in 5.5mm and in my indoor range across my study and workshop - 9m I can put every single pellet within a normal ipsc patch offhand. It has the standard open rear sight and a custom front post mounted on a silencer.

Overall I am impressed by it, it is definitely better than it costs - whether it is good enough for serious competition I am not so certain. I would rate it as better than the gamo compact for this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I have a CP1, and it is very nice and accurate. But probably not nearly as accurate as a serious competition pistol - Also not the same price though. You will need to do work on the grips, as they are not well formed, and I would go for the single shot version. there are also some easy and essential mods to do on the trigger to get it to perform. With mine in 5.5mm and in my indoor range across my study and workshop - 9m I can put every single pellet within a normal ipsc patch offhand. It has the standard open rear sight and a custom front post mounted on a silencer.

Overall I am impressed by it, it is definitely better than it costs - whether it is good enough for serious competition I am not so certain. I would rate it as better than the gamo compact for this.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds good - i don't want to fork out mega bucks now, if she enjoys it, does well and wants to compete seriously, then yes.

User

I would go to a few matches and see what people who shoot it are actually using. Whatever you see may not be perfect , but will get you headed in the right direction.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I would go to a few matches and see what people who shoot it are actually using. Whatever you see may not be perfect , but will get you headed in the right direction.
    This. I wasted so much money on internet advice when I started IDPA and if I had gone to watch and ask questions things woke have been better.

User

Get hold of the administrators from SANSSU. They can point you in the right direction regarding Olympic shooting, as well as introduce you to the community, and advise you on what to buy.

http://www.sanssu.co.za/

Also, make inquiries on airrifle.co.za - there are people who know people who have stuff to sell. It's a pity I did not see this sooner. I have just given a CP1 pistol away, for which I had no use. To be honest, I would not go for the CP1. The CO2 cartridge has a habit of getting stuck, and it's a ballache to remove it.

The SPA brand are reasonably-priced and they have a range of PCP pistols that can be accurised... Rashaad at Outdoor Pitstop in Cresta has stock , I think.

Cheers

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by JRX View Post
    Hi,

My daughter (13) wants to start shooting ISSF Air Pistol, I'll take her to join a club, will the following be a good pistol to start with? (it's affordable):

SPA CP1-M PELLET PISTOL 4.5MM

SPA CP1-M PELLET PISTOL 4.5MM Pellet pistol uses 12g CO2 cartridge. Easy to load bolt action, single shot.Adjustable trigger & rear sight.Capable of single shot & multi shot.Specification

• Item: CP1-M
    • Calibre : 4.5 mm
    • Velocity: 3-8 Joule
    • Overall Length: 390mm
    • Magazine: Yes (9 Pellets)
    • Stock: Wooden

User

I agree, go for the gamo compact, they are really accurate and can be tuned to have great triggers. The cheap Co2 pistols are very frustrating as they vary so much form full to empty cylinders.