Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Federal HST availabe anywhere?

Does anyone know where I can find Federeal HST for sale in JHB or PTA?

I have been looking everywhere and no one seems to have, interesting enough, many have the older Hydra-Shok.

I wonder why they would have the old tech and not the newer ones.

User

Default Re: Federal HST availabe anywhere?

Just get the Ranger T's. Cheaper and regularly available

Or Hornady Critical Duty

User

They are kinda like hens teeth.

The only times I've seen HST :
    Tactical HQ had some HST 147gr R699/20 back in October last year but it's all gone.
    Dave Sheer Guns had quite a bit of 124gr/147gr both standard and +P between mid 2017 and early 2018 at around R900/50 but it's all gone and they said they don't have plans to bring in any more at the moment.

I'm so puzzled as to why the SA supplier of Federal doesn't bring lots in.
    Federal HST is by far the best round available for personal defense in 9mmP.
    It works well and expands/penetrates brilliantly in almost every gun. From small 3 inch pocket pistols to full size service pistols.
    Plus Federal's quality control is much better than Winchester's.

I see you have a G19X. The best option at the moment would probably be Winchester Ranger T 147gr at R500/50.
    Remember to function test, buy at least 2 boxes. One to shoot out, and one to fill your mags.

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Just get the Ranger T's. Cheaper and regularly available

Or Hornady Critical Duty
    A lot of us are looking for federal HST's/Speer gold dots because of the QC problems with the Ranger T's.

Both my 127 +p and 147gr boxes had faulty bullets that I bought in December, this came up on the FB page with a few guys checking and realizing they also received faulty rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE View Post
    A lot of us are looking for federal HST's/Speer gold dots because of the QC problems with the Ranger T's.

Both my 127 +p and 147gr boxes had faulty bullets that I bought in December, this came up on the FB page with a few guys checking and realizing they also received faulty rounds.
    Hey do you mind sharing what exactly you found faulty with the ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by salasa2788 View Post
    Hey do you mind sharing what exactly you found faulty with the ammo?

I have personally seen three cartridges from different boxes where the primers are squashed sideways into the primer pockets. I do not know whether they can detonate, and whether I want them to be able to.

Also, but not necessarily linked to the cartridges' performance:
    - containers and ammo are dirty on arrival
    - the holes in the polystyrene containers are not equally deep

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    They are kinda like hens teeth.

I'm so puzzled as to why the SA supplier of Federal doesn't bring lots in.
    Federal HST is by far the best round available for personal defense in 9mmP.
    It works well and expands/penetrates brilliantly in almost every gun. From small 3 inch pocket pistols to full size service pistols.
    Plus Federal's quality control is much better than Winchester's.
    I concur

User

The problem we found was on several rounds of both loads for 9mm was, the bullets should have six grooves. Some have 3, some four, some, five and some 6. Some of the hollow points are not hollow and are full of lead.

The big concern we have is, if they don't pic up on external factory faults in the QC side of things, what guarantees do we have that the loads are correct on the inside. This is ammo that we spend lots of money on, supposedly top shelf for the sole purpose of self defense. Would I like to take the gamble of carrying suspect ammo that will not perform as advertised to, NO. I have never had this problem with HST's or gold dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I have personally seen three cartridges from different boxes where the primers are squashed sideways into the primer pockets. I do not know whether they can detonate, and whether I want them to be able to.

Also, but not necessarily linked to the cartridges' performance:
    - containers and ammo are dirty on arrival
    - the holes in the polystyrene containers are not equally deep
    Quite concerning that is!!!

Making me inspect my ammo again perhaps I missed something which I hope not.

If this is the standards that they are stooping to then one might as well damn carry fmjs S&Bs as quality seems to be a lot more controlled in my experience with them

Apparently the suppliers have a shipment of HST coming in March, but the shop did not want to make promises as these have been "coming in" for a while now.

No idea of the weights or price, but will update if this turns out to be true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast