Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Rifle scope advice: 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope vs 5-20X50 Matte

Good day to all members. I believe all is well and good on your side? I have a question for the knowledgeable members in regards to rifle scopes:
    When looking at the magnification/properties of the above mentioned scope in the starter thread topic :
    6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope

versus

5-20X50

What will I observe when I look through these two scopes , let us say it is the same brand ..

Will there be a dramatic difference in sight picture and focus/use in the veld for longer ranges???

Reason for asking:
    There are a massive difference in price...

Please give your opinions freely...

Second Part of question:
    Can I except that to be able to shoot small grouping 20-30 mm diameter a magnification of 5-18x will be a good choice???? In terms of a clear sight picture??

Default Re: Rifle scope advice: 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope vs 5-20X50 Matte

You have to compare the scopes side by side, looking at the same point through both, in the same light. A good quality 1-6x , for example, will be much clearer and brighter than a 6-25x56 of poor quality. Long range shooting like PRS is done around 14x-16x magjification to 1000m , the main reason being mirage at higher magnification in the heat obscures the target.

The bigger the objective lens, the more light, but the higher magnification reduces light. Tradeoff.

The quickest way to find the right scope is to look at what other people use successfully for that purpose and do the same.

User

Default Re: Rifle scope advice: 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope vs 5-20X50 Matte

Good, I did some research, I am going not the ordinary route, something not so every day purchased , instead of a Leopold /Zeis or Swarovski ....but a nice old brand ...

Weaver scope for the 8x68S:
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-gra...ack-matte.html

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Good, I did some research, I am going not the ordinary route, something not so every day purchased , instead of a Leopold /Zeis or Swarovski ....but a nice old brand ...

Weaver scope for the 8x68S:

User

A comparisson between the Lynx 5-20 x 50 rifle scope and this Weaver 5-20 x 50 rifle scope..the technical detail is very much the same..the big difference is the price :
    The Weaver= R5210.69

Lynx + R12004.90
    https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...flescope+RS725

That price is not the landed cost, Natchez will not ship it here, and you are not permitted to import scopes.

If you have someone there to buy it and bring it back, different story.

As for features, the marketing blurb is just that, you can't do a meaningful comparison of scopes by what the specs say. Going by what other people say is only indicative, you might not appreciate what other people like.

This is worth looking at if it's still available :

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...upold+vx3+sale

User

Ive learnt two things with scopes.

You definately get what you pay for and the more light you get into the scope the better your field of view will be. I'd take the x 50 over the x 44 anyday. I have both and my x 50 scope is way clearer to look through.

I went with the Lynx LX3 with the SA hunt reticle. Love it and the guys at Lynx are super helpyful. I e-mailed them and the owner phoned me for what turned out to be a 30 minute chat about scopes. Who else does that?

User

Gert, the problem with the particular scope, the weaver, is that it's not really designed for long range shooting. The purpose of the scope is to extend your shooting range a bit, but with this scope you will have to hold over, instead of dial.

You get other models in the same scope, like this one:

This one is really bonkers, but it allows the user to set his own ballistic markers, meaning a color for each distance, must say I find the idea innovative, fresh thinking.

Are you sure the one you mentioned will fill your needs?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    A comparisson between the Lynx 5-20 x 50 rifle scope and this Weaver 5-20 x 50 rifle scope..the technical detail is very much the same..the big difference is the price :
    The Weaver= R5210.69

Lynx + R12004.90
    https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...flescope+RS725
    The hunter is transporting it for you, so free shipping, but you need to figure in ITAR/ITAC costs as well.

Add the absense of local back-up, plus the fact that you are basing your purchase on internet reviews, you stand a fair chance of being disappointed in your purchase. I agree with Messor, your chosen scope mighy not fit your intended purpose that well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Gert, in post #3, you seem to be saying that this scope is for your 8x68, and in general you are asking about long range shooting.

Just to be clear:
    1) Is it your intention to use the 8x68 solely and exclusively for long range shooting?
    2) Are you asking for a recommendation in choosing a scope for that purpose?
    3) What do you see as your main use for the rifle and scope combination? (eg hunting gemsbok at over 300m, or long range target shooting out to 1000m)

Answers to these questions will help the knowledgeable guys out there to give you the best guidance.

To specifically answer the second part of your question in post #1: I've seen plenty people shoot groups smaller than 20mm at 100m with a 3-9x40 scope. I can normally do it with my bad eyes and 4-16 scope set at somewhere about 10x or 12x. Higher magnification than that often introduces more problems than it solves. As mentioned elsewhere, the quality of the scope will have a bigger impact on how clearly you can see the target than the magnification will. This weekend I took part in my first long-range gong shoot and was once again reminded that quality of glass beats magnification any day.

I would strongly recommend that anyone stick with a brand that is well known locally and has good local support. Most brands fitting that description have been mentioned already but there are others. Support local business, even if you end up buying an imported product through them. Also remember that in general you get what you pay for. "Goedkoop is duur koop"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast