Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: ...a bit too strict?

Not wanting to start a new thread I thought I would resurrect this one with a situation I came across on Thursday afternoon.

On the last bit of road to the range it's really bumpy and I catch up to a vehicle ahead of me, hazard light on, I correctly surmise he is looking for the range and has never been there before.

Get to parking area and we get out, greet a young man and confirm he is at the right place, his female partner alights, small greeting and they ask if R/O xxx is there. I can see him and point to him, that's your man.

I begin unloading gear, they do the same, the gear I am unloading in to use for shooting targets at a shooting range.
    The gear they are unloading consists of a six pack of xyz beers, and the guy has a half empty one in his hand, so he's had at least some on the way there.

Peer over to r/o xxx, well the expression on his face was priceless.

Anyhow, he reprimanded them and the beers were stowed back in vehicle.

Kindly he still did the induction for them, first time shooters, and did let them pop off a few rounds which predictably were not near the targets, made for a few minutes of light entertainment for me.

But holy smoke, rock up for a shooting class with a few under the belt, what do people think

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    Kindly he still did the induction for them, first time shooters, and did let them pop off a few rounds which predictably were not near the targets, made for a few minutes of light entertainment for me.
    That is principally wrong on ROx’s part. He should know better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    Not wanting to start a new thread I thought I would resurrect this one with a situation I came across on Thursday afternoon.

On the last bit of road to the range it's really bumpy and I catch up to a vehicle ahead of me, hazard light on, I correctly surmise he is looking for the range and has never been there before.

Get to parking area and we get out, greet a young man and confirm he is at the right place, his female partner alights, small greeting and they ask if R/O xxx is there. I can see him and point to him, that's your man.

I begin unloading gear, they do the same, the gear I am unloading in to use for shooting targets at a shooting range.
    The gear they are unloading consists of a six pack of xyz beers, and the guy has a half empty one in his hand, so he's had at least some on the way there.

Peer over to r/o xxx, well the expression on his face was priceless.

Anyhow, he reprimanded them and the beers were stowed back in vehicle.

But holy smoke, rock up for a shooting class with a few under the belt, what do people think
    Sadly it's become part of a lot of people's "it's a normal thing to do", I'm honestly not suprised at that story when I see the amount of booze some people drink while hunting/driving/fishing/golfing/insert recreational activity here. I see people driving with a beer in their hand on an almost daily basis now.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I was amazed to see the amount of beer sold & consumed at a Swiss shooting event, also that every other rule was followed to the T during the entire weekend.

As a potential new handgun and rifle shooter, licences are in, I also feel a little stressed about going to shoot at a range with a rifle for the first time.
    Maybe one of the experienced guys here, that are also RO could write up a little "How-to" with all the etiquette and range rules for the noobs.
    I have looked around and didn't see anything like this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

User

I would also personally prefer an overly strict RO as opposed to one that doesn't care at all about safety.

Codie, follow the basic rules and you should be fine. If in doubt, as the RO for assistance.

Basically, keep the four rules of firearm safety in mind, and you should be ok.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Codie View Post
    I have looked around and didn't see anything like this.
    Your competency training manuals have a decent list.

Beyond that every range has its own set of rules that will be displayed and explained (if not, ask them to) the first time you get there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    I was amazed to see the amount of beer sold & consumed at a Swiss shooting event, also that every other rule was followed to the T during the entire weekend.
    The beer the Swiss drink is most likely very German in nature, meaning it has a very low alcohol content. The alcohol content is likely lower than local orange juice that was left outside the fridge for 30 minutes in summer. Those guys were just re-hydrating.

If people would just drink responsibly and not make so may mess-ups when drinking, we could also have allowed it on our ranges.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The beer the Swiss drink is most likely very German in nature, meaning it has a very low alcohol content. The alcohol content is likely lower than local orange juice that was left outside the fridge for 30 minutes in summer. Those guys were just re-hydrating.

If people would just drink responsibly and not make so may mess-ups when drinking, we could also have allowed it on our ranges.
    Don't know where you get this from. Most beers that Germans drink are around the, 5% mark which I would not consider low unless you are comparing it to Belgian doubles and triples.

For the record a 5% 500ml beer contains 25ml alchol which is easy more than a shot of whiskey which comes in at 12ml (40% of 30ml).

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

Yip 😬, there is a culture of responsibility and respect for rules in Switzerland.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast