Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Info required on Maxxtech 9mm cases

Today myself and my mate each shot 100 rounds of 9mm ammo at an indoor range,him with Maxxtech 9mm and me Sellior and Bellot 9mm ammo.

We came home and I inspected tha cases inside for possible Burden Primers mixed in with our once fired ammo.

I noticed that the Sellior and Bellot cases had perfectly round and same sized flash holes but yet the Maxxtech also had Boxer primer cases but really
    different sized flash holes as well as non round or sometimes oddly shaped oblong flash holes and different sized flash holes.

Is this normal for Maxxtech cases as I have heard horrifying stories about some of their cases and ammo and secondly I will probably damage or break the de-capping pin of my die.

Will the die de-capping pin uniformly resize the flash holes when I use the resizing and de-capping die. or should I bin these Maxxtech 9mm cases all together?

I eagerly await some expert advice thanks!!!

Default Re: Info required on Maxxtech 9mm cases

Post some pics to show what you're referring to, answers will be more relevant then.

User

So far most of my decapping pin breakages were from those pesky S&B 9mm cases with the small flash holes. Mostly the decapper will just punch through and stretch the flash hole. Then one is too tight and you hear that dreaded "click" as the press handle loses resistance...

Never had that issue with Maxxtech. I just cull the stepped cases.

I would not worry much about flash hole uniformity on pistol cases, as long as the decapper can go through. I now drill out the tight ones.

Precision rifle loads is a different matter.

[QUOTE=A-R;1302390]So far most of my decapping pin breakages were from those pesky S&B 9mm cases with the small flash holes. Mostly the decapper will just punch through and stretch the flash hole. Then one is too tight and you hear that dreaded "click" as the press handle loses resistance...

Never had that issue with Maxxtech. I just cull the stepped cases.

I would not worry much about flash hole uniformity on pistol cases, as long as the decapper can go through. I now drill out the tight ones.

I am just afraid for exactly that what you are describing, the dreaded snap of the de-capping pin!!!

I can see some flash holes that are smaller than the diameter of the de-capping pin hence I am afraid to even attempt de-capping them or will it just make the flash hole larger automatically as the brass is softer than the de-capping pin or am I horribly mistaken and about to break my de-capping pin.

User

I have encountered one of the Maxxtek cases with the small flash-hole. The pin went in fine but got stuck and pulled out of the pin stem. It took some surgery with a long punch to recover the pin and press it back into the stem...

Next time I wont be attempting to resize a case with a visibly small flash-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    I have encountered one of the Maxxtek cases with the small flash-hole. The pin went in fine but got stuck and pulled out of the pin stem. It took some surgery with a long punch to recover the pin and press it back into the stem...

Next time I wont be attempting to resize a case with a visibly small flash-hole.
    My point exactly M43
    I am really sorry about the damage you incurred.
    I am going to toss all 150 cases I have of MAXXTECH!!!!

What is considered the best brass in 9mm cases?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    What is considered the best brass in 9mm cases?
    Lapua off course!

A close second is FREE brass with any headstamp.

I just use what I get my hands on. I have at least 100 different head stamps / brands in the stash. Some brands have less issues than others, but this will vary from 1 batch to the next.

Small flash holes are easy to just drill out to a more normal size. Use a 1,8mm drill and drill from the inside. Stop just before contacting the primer. One of the various flash hole deburring tools will also do the job.

The above and a few other issues is why I decap (universal decapper die on single stage press with improvised case kicker) and inspect my cases before use. This also weeds out all the Berdan cases before they break anything.

User

If you really want to, I suppose you could drill the flash holes with a decent drill bit in a hand drill? Can't see why not.

I have reloaded S&B, Fiocchi and Winchester brass with no issues personally.
    I'm quite partial to S&B FMJ ammo for range time and I feel the brass is pretty decent and consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Lapua off course!

A close second is FREE brass with any headstamp.

I just use what I get my hands on. I have at least 100 different head stamps / brands in the stash. Some brands have less issues than others, but this will vary from 1 batch to the next.

Small flash holes are easy to just drill out to a more normal size. Use a 1,8mm drill and drill from the inside. Stop just before contacting the primer. One of the various flash hole deburring tools will also do the job.

The above and a few other issues is why I decap (universal decapper die on single stage press with improvised case kicker) and inspect my cases before use. This also weeds out all the Berdan cases before they break anything.
    Hi A-R, would you be so kind as to share a picture or two of your DIY case kicker?

Regards
    GB95

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I have S&B cases with various flash hole sizes. I also had a pin getting stuck and pulling out of the die.

Redding's Flash hole deburring tool also drills the flash hole to 2mm size while cutting a 45° chamfer.

I made my own tool since Redding uses a lathe centring drill with a tube to act as a depth gauge. Cost = R70 vs R460.
    No more stuck pins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast