Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Black Powder hunt 1885 at Weltevreden farm in 2019

Good day members, I am commencing with the 1885 Era Black powder hunt thread of 2019.
    This year I will try to take more photos as well as videos for you to enjoy.
    Here is my camp bed set up alongside my trusted home made 1800 era tent ( build with the assistance of my great wife in 2015)

User

Default Re: Black Powder hunt 1885 at Weltevreden farm in 2019

It is 1884 in the ZAR. The little Boer republic is 30 years old, recognized by the treaty of London in 1854.
    Yes there was that unfortunate interlude of British rule from '77 to '81, but that misunderstanding was clarified at Majuba on 27 February 1881.
    Now the flag of the ZAR is flying in Pretoria.

But that is all politics. On the farms around Pretoria some farmers are making ready for their winter hunt in the Waterberg about 100 miles to the north. Gert, Greg and Johan are from Pretoria district.
    From the town of Nijlstroom come Herman, Hansie and Willie.
    Then there is the Reverend Jaap from the kalahari-desert who is always trying to keep his countrymen civilized - even when they are out hunting.
    There under an old camel thorn tree they camp with their wagons, and hunt for meat. They are joined by some friends from the southern sister republic - "De Oranje Vrijstaat" MC, Swannie and Max.
    Among the Free staters there is David, a lonely Englishman from Bloemfontein - he has made the Free state his home and befriended the Boers - finding them quite hospitable. This year the group is joined by Georg, an Austrian-Bavarian adventurer hunting in Africa.
    Then of course there are two hunters from the Cape Colony - Wallace and Clieve.

The area around the camp abound with Impala, warthog, bushbuck and kudu. Animals are hunted, carried to camp, and processed into biltong - dried meat- which will be taken back to their home farms.

The hunters use a variety of rifles:
    The new 450-577 Martini-Henry, the most modern military rifle introduced to the British empire 8 years before.
    The Westley-richards monkeytail - trusted rifle among many boers in the fighting at Majuba 3 years ago. Shooting rolled paper cartridges, it can be used as a muzzle loader in a pinch, should you run out of rolled cartridges.
    Some boers stil prefer their muzzle loading percussion rifles, and one of them uses a giant 6-bore flintlock.
    There is talk of a fancy 11 mm German turnbolt rifle that Georg will be bringing.
    Wallace from the Cape brings a lovely bespoke gun - a handmade hunting rifle - the calibre i am uncertain of.

Members as you may see, we are the lucky owners of a time machine that takes us back about 130 years for a traditional hunt. This is the same hunt that gert Odendaal had been telling you about for the last four years.Willie Barnard

Good members, Georg Poppel and his wife Elfriede arrived Wednesday morning by plain 8:15 at OR Tambo Airport. I took them to the police department to clear al three of his rifles. It took me ten minutes to do that, and fifteen minutes longer to get his permit completed and given to him. I did not experience any difficulty at all, maybe my advantage was that I spoke the Nguni/Zulu language and not English with the Police officials on duty.
    I went to the Sergeant on duty and told her about the 8x68S barrel I need to bring in from the USA. She told me that any visiting hunter /person can bring the barrel to South Africa without any documentation accept the invoice of purchasing as proof that the barrel was paid for and bought from a legitimate company like PAC-NOR barrel manufacturing company.
    I am the person who need to have a duplicate of the application I submitted containing all detail of the barrel, this application to permanent import a rifle /barrel take the same time as an application of a licence ....I then need to present the application permit and go through the normal procedures like I did with Georg Poppel`s rifles...
    I then went to customs and explain the same scenario to them..they pointed out to me that for one rifle I brought in/barrel valued at less than R5000 South African rands I do not pay any customs duty at all...only when a company bring in a few rifles , they are refereed back from Police to Customs to work on the custom tax that needs to be paid on the large amount of the numerous rifles/barrels/action permanently imported by a gun shop or company...
    Now I went through the complete process and knows exactly how it is done and what the procedures are...
    This will make all the future permanent importation of rifles, barrels and actions an easy process for me since I know first hand how to do it...
    Members here is a report of our actual Black Powder hunt of 1885 in the year of 2019:
    Georg and Elfriede Poppel accompanied me to Weltevreden to participate in the Black Powder hunt. We arrived at the gate of Weltevreden farm on the Saturday during midday on a hot sun shining down on us.

Johan Greyling already arrived with the freight ox wagon at the camp, we had some damage on the canvas covering the ox wagon , this year the ox wagon was a great feature as a kitchen storage surface...An extremely important issue we all gave a lot of attention to is to eradicate all plastic and new world pollution in the camp...all containers not conforming to our requirements of vintage /historical point of views..

We pitched tents , Georg/Elfriede slept in the "new world camp " I slept in the original camp...

Real cosy...
    My sleeping adobe :

Making sure I stay afloat:

My humble adobe with a few add on`s:

Hunters from the Free state:

Hunters from Natal, Volkmar /Renata pitching their tent:

Ludi, hunter from the far North pitching his tent:

User

In and around the camp:
    The Kitchen:

MC Heunis assisting in starting the camp fire, we used a flint and steel "Tonteldoos" as was used by the Voortrekkers...

Coffee pots was the most important item in conjunction with a lot of condensed milk

Coffee beans was constantly grounded to keep up with the demand for a great, strong condensed milk brew...
    Noticed the old vintage labels printed by MC Heunis

Utensils that made live easier around the kitchen:

There are always boiled water on the fire:

Enough working surfaces was another important issue , this year we even had an Ox wagon to store/place our stuff onto as well as a few tables...

User

A video about moments around the camp fire cooking food:

Ludi , his son Duan really are an asset on such a hunt, Ludi , hunter from the far North brought a lot of proviand, pots, utensils and a lot of great items that assisted us around the fire while making food...here is a video of Ludi making a great pot of "pap" ...

User

An interesting photo George took on the hunt...it also is an item we surely can not be without ...

User

A video of the process:

User

User

Making food , open fire camp food making processes are diverse as the hunters in a camp. We as South Africans , the farming community , hunters learned the art of camp fire cooking from our parents. Usually you will find in a South African household the man of the house will be the cook...we still are learning from the old people who really was great cooks around campfires...some photos of this activity in camp:
    Willie Barnard is one of the best open fire cooks I have met, he really has great insight in what types of meat will combine to make a great dinner..here he used two fat sheep ribs around a Impala leg ...added onions, carrots , spices to create a delicious dinner:

User

Elfriede and Renata really were great in the camp kitchen , it is great to have a women in the camp that understand what hunting is about...

User

Containing /eradicating modern pollution:
    As pointed out previously, we really try hard to eradicate plastic/modern items in our camp..we were fortunate in receiving a lot of hessian bags to store modern items out of view.Dr. Wallace Vosloo donated a lot of these great hessian bags to our camp box.Another strategy is to store proviand in bottles as well as in wooden crates.
    Making copies from original items is another method to minimise pollution in the camp

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast