Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Black Powder hunt 1885 at Weltevreden farm in 2019

Important rules of the hunt:
    No shots further than fifty meters.
    All hunting stops when an animal is wounded , all members look for and track the wounded animal.
    Since every hunter hunts alone /with a fellow hunter we need hunters to be honest when they shot at game , when wounded , report back to the camp immediately.
    Shooting at the range:
    Our main sponsor for all black powder used in this hunt was provided by Johan Greyling who makes excellent high quality Black powder. Johan Greyling is the only licences manufacturer of high quality black powder in South Africa ...he caters only for hunters and black powder front loader canon owners.

The next photo will explain how important ZAR black powder is for the hunters in the 1885 Era hunting camp.
    Georg Poppel, our German/Austrian hunter who participated in the hunt managed to get hold of two containers of ZAR high quality black powder...he was really reluctant to let go of these two containers we needed for re-loading in camp..

Hunters shooting their rifles :

User

Kudu cow was hunted by Volkmar Bunge the last day of the hunt , a lot of rain fell the previous day and Volkmar`s hat was too wet to wear the next day when he shot the kudu cow...this is why he is wearing a "arm bush hat"

User

Meat processing:
    Due to extremely high day temperatures all meat processing was done in the early mornings or late afternoons . We did not hunt any warthog due to considerable possibilities of meat that would spoil .
    All meat /carcasses are de-boned /cut into biltong by Willie Barnard. All cut off pieces , not suitable for biltong is being process by me with assistance from fellow hunters we grind the meat to use as a mince dish for camp food. The rest I use for making venison sausage or wilds wors as it is known in Afrikaans.
    Every body assist to process meat in the camp as well..

Willie uses the skin of the slaughtered animal to cure the biltong in it for twelve hours. Then the biltong is hung to dry in the shade...

User

As pointed out previously , it really is very important for us to hand down knowledge from the older hunters to our younger hunters..here the three younger hunters are stuffing wilds wors/ venison sausage after the meat has been minced by Erik and Shaun our young men of the camp..

The following video shows the process of mincing the venison meat with sheep tail fat to enable us to stuff venison wors ...

Some photos of the hunt/camp/participants:
    This concludes the report about the 1885 Era Black Powder hunt..

User

User

Members, I need to point out , the exceptional videos were taken by my good friend Georg Poppel, he really did a splendid job, we would not have all these great videos if it was not for Georg...he even had time to sit and rest..man he is good...

User

In regards to the type of hunting we need to do when hunting with the old rifles, here is a video of how near you need to get for a shot , even this distance is too far, as a hunter you need to get closer ...this year was more difficult to get very close to the game..the wind patterns/directions changed around all day...

This year a impala was shot from a distance of twelve meters in the dense bush..

User

This looks like a Blast

Managed my first with a muzzleloader last year
    46m
    .45cal 400gr soft cast connical

2hours later got an impala with my edc another 1st for me

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by StephanManistaAcc View Post
    This looks like a Blast

Managed my first with a muzzleloader last year
    46m
    .45cal 400gr soft cast connical

2hours later got an impala with my edc another 1st for me

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Excellent Sir, great shooting and great photos...thank you for sharing, it is much appreciated..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast