Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Assault charge and keeping your guns

Hi.
    I think it would depend on the circumstances.
    I was convicted for assault and pointing a firearm, however the judge did not find me unfit to possess a firearm. Paid a fine. This was in 2009.
    Judge allowed me to keep my firearm, which I licenced twice now the past 10 years.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by fx3yan View Post
    Hi.
    I think it would depend on the circumstances.
    I was convicted for assault and pointing a firearm, however the judge did not find me unfit to possess a firearm. Paid a fine. This was in 2009.
    Judge allowed me to keep my firearm, which I licenced twice now the past 10 years.

I find this interesting that judge found you guilty, but not unfit. Can I ask what the scenario was of your case, if you don't mind. Understand fully if you decline

User

A bit complicated. A guy (neighbour who was removing my newly laid lawn for his personal use) tried to assault my wife with bricks (in the presence of ADT security officials), and I responded by drawing my firearm and warning him I will shoot. He opened a charge against me.
    Judge felt my actions were extreme as the security company was already there to protect.
    Matter dragged on in court for 3 years.

User

A bit complicated. A guy (neighbour who was removing my newly laid lawn for his personal use) tried to assault my wife with bricks (in the presence of ADT security officials), and I responded by drawing my firearm and warning him I will shoot. He opened a charge against me.
    Judge felt my actions were extreme as the security company was already there to protect.

Sheesh, I can't say that I disagree with what you did, doesn't matter if it's only a brick.

Hope your neighbour also got something for his efforts.

The judge stated that you actions were extreme because you forced him to stop his assault? In what kind of cuckoo land do these people live. A brick can be considered a deadly weapon.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi_ View Post
    A brick can be considered a deadly weapon.
    Just this month there was an "upset" past pupil who was smashing up his old school with bricks. SAPS arrived and the pupil starts smashing the van & moves to assault an officer. Other SAP officer feeds him some lead (apparently perp passed away).

I wonder how the above mentioned judge would find this case?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2