User

Default Factory ammo similar to remington hog hammer?

My Dad got a few boxes of Remington Hog Hammer 308 168 gn ammo from a friend, and it preforms fantastically in the bush. He can't find it locally and doesn't reload. Does anyone know of anything similar, it looks like a barnes tsx bullet in remington brass.
    Or if there isn't anything similar in South Africa, anyone have an idea what powder might perform similar with barnes tsx bullets?
    Thanks.

User

Default Re: Factory ammo similar to remington hog hammer?

I have seen Hornady 165gr GMX factory ammo being sold locally.

I have had only good results with the GMX's but that was on 7x57. I highly recommend them and I'm sure others on the forum do too. They do sell them factory loaded as above stated.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Banned

Barnes are sold under the Vor-tx name. I bought some for my 7x64 at our local co-op.

Banned

Some gun shop operators/owners are licensed/registered to reload ammunition.

Maybe search for one and start load development?

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    My Dad got a few boxes of Remington Hog Hammer 308 168 gn ammo from a friend, and it preforms fantastically in the bush. He can't find it locally and doesn't reload. Does anyone know of anything similar, it looks like a barnes tsx bullet in remington brass.
    Or if there isn't anything similar in South Africa, anyone have an idea what powder might perform similar with barnes tsx bullets?
    Thanks.
    Any expanding mono-copper bulleted factory load should be about on par with the above load. These are available from various makers. Some load the Barnes bullets, or equivalents from other makers.

With these copper bullets from all makers, it is important to adapt the bullet length (and thus the weight) to the rifling twist rate of your rifle. Compared to cup-core style bullets, one should reduce bullet weight by about 25 - 30% to maintain proper stability. That is not just stability in fligt, but also after impact with the target animal. Since the mono bullets retain more weight (usually 100% or close to that), they tend to tumble after impact if just marginally stabilized. (The softer cup-core bullets lose about 30% of weight (and length), which increases their stability.)

If you like the 168 gn bullet weight, reloading with one of the locally made bonded bullets should also give great results.

Powder choice should be based on local availability and manufacturer's recommended load data. I would suggest that reloading is your best long term solution. The 308 is one of the easiest rifle catridges to reload and a good one to start with.