Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Home alarm systems

I am thinking of overhauling / replacing my home alarm system, and would appreciate any thoughts on it.
    I currently have a paradox system, and even though they are rated as good, I an very much less than impressed with the build quality of a lot of the components, so looking at everything that is on the market currently.
    DIY is a must, so I must be able to buy, install, configure and maintain the system on my own. parts should be readily available from multiple suppliers.
    Wireless is preferable, but having both Wired and Wireless zones is also an option.
    I probably need:
    5-6x indoor PIR sensors
    4-5x outdoor PIR sensors
    Beams? - maybe, but not sure if they are better than PIRs
    No need for pet friendly - my pets are big enough that this feature is futile...
    Door contacts - 5-6, but if wired I can set them all on the same zone, and not sure if it can be done with wireless contacts
    Panic buttons? maybe, but not sure of their value anymore.
    Remote arm, disarm, and stay functions.
    Obviously integration to the armed response.
    Big backup battery capacity.
    Cell phone connectivity? dunno...

The last time I went through this exercise was 12 odd years ago, so I don't know what is available nowadays, any comments / opinions are welcome.

User

Default Re: Home alarm systems

There was someone here with experience in RoboGuard... Will see if I can find the thread.

User

User

I believe Paradox also make nice systems ...

User

Paradox wireless systems are awesome. Have a look at Communica. They sell most of their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Yep, Paradox are awesome, with great functionality... but I've had one for 12 years now, and despite what everyone says, in my experience, their build quality is not fantastic. Notably their solder joints are dodgy, and their circuit boards delaminate and corrode.

So I will probably get another one, but I'm interested to hear what else is out there, buying another paradox at the moment will leave a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, because I think that a lot of the high price can be attributed to legend tax rather than quality.

User

https://www.alarmtec.co.za/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

My parents just replaced their 20 year old alarm system with an IDS. I don't have any experience with them, but on the face of it they seem decent.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

User

I have no idea how it compares really, but I have a Texecom Premier 412, and quite like it. In the few times I have had the alarm techs out to assist, I have always looked over their shoulders, and have thus picked up on how to do some of the more commonly needed programming on the unit.

I have a GSM unit fitted, which is supported by the monitoring company and linked to an in-house smartphone app, so not sure how this compares to other GSM solutions.

I am using a combination of brands ITO passives and beams and the like, so in my limited knowledge, compatibility is fine.

A long time ago I used to install alarms and program them to make contact with op center.

1. Get either a caddx or DSC. Caddx is preference. Nx8e
    2. There used to be a diy forum for caddx. but I think it is now restricted to only professionals.
    3. Make sure you get the caddx power supply. This reduces damage from electrical problems.
    4. My alarm installed in 2006 is still working 100%. I had a few failed pirs.
    5. Programming can be done either via software or via the keypad. Both are eay once you figure it out.
    6. Get at least one LCD panel. NX148
    7. It does home automation. I could switch off my alarm via the internet. and check when a zone activated(it is difficult to do this btw)
    8. It can also do sms notification via the centurion dialer.
    9. get a small ups for the alarm . R450 jobbie.
    10. You can put a 18ah battery on the nx8e
    11. You can run a massive system on the nx8e.
    12. the expensive wireless units are rock solid.

BTW I installed a NX8e for my MIL in Dec 2017. so far, not one false trigger. Multiple zones. MIL can't turn on a computer. But she can work the alarm.

PM for other stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast