User

Default Competency Renewal Contradictions.

Can someone explain to me why I need to renew a "Competency to possess a handgun" when renewing my first handgun licence (sec 13) when I have 3 other Sec 16 Handgun licences that are are still valid for a number of years?

How can my handgun competency expire for 1 handgun yet remain valid for 3 other handguns (remember there is only 1 competency to possess a handgun, not 1 per handgun)?

Furthermore a competency certificate remains valid for the duration of the licence it relates to and a licence is deemed valid if renewed 90days prior to expiry so technically a competency certificate doesn't expire when licenses are renewed in good time.

Yet my DFO insists on competency renewal despite the above mentioned facts.

As I have understood it, the competency remains valid for the length of the longest licence issued against that competency.

What my DFO is insisting is that it remains valid for the length of the shortest licence issued against that competency....

User

Default Re: Competency Renewal Contradictions.

Had the same argument with my DFO. S13 expires 2021, she says my handgun competency expires then. Asked her what about my S16 handgun that expires 2026, and she insisted the competency expires same time as my S13...

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Can someone explain to me why I need to renew a "Competency to possess a handgun" when renewing my first handgun licence (sec 13) when I have 3 other Sec 16 Handgun licences that are are still valid for a number of years?

How can my handgun competency expire for 1 handgun yet remain valid for 3 other handguns (remember there is only 1 competency to possess a handgun, not 1 per handgun)?

Furthermore a competency certificate remains valid for the duration of the licence it relates to and a licence is deemed valid if renewed 90days prior to expiry so technically a competency certificate doesn't expire when licenses are renewed in good time.

Yet my DFO insists on competency renewal despite the above mentioned facts.

As I have understood it, the competency remains valid for the length of the longest licence issued against that competency.

What my DFO is insisting is that it remains valid for the length of the shortest licence issued against that competency....
    Upon further research I came across this excerpt from a NHSA newsletter

https://natshoot.co.za/nhsa-info/nhs...2017/vol-13-08

"If one has a handgun (or shotgun) for self-defence (section 13), and one or more handguns for sport shooting (or shotguns for sport shooting or hunting) (section 15 or 16), one's handgun competency (or shotgun competency) expires on the date of one's sport shooting handgun licence (or shotgun licence) with the longest outstanding expiry date. One's application for renewal of one's handgun competency (or shotgun competency) must thus be handed in with the application for renewal of one's longest outstanding handgun licence (or shotgun licence) (at least 90 days before the longest outstanding licence expires)."

Which pretty much sums up my own understanding for the law.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Had the same argument with my DFO. S13 expires 2021, she says my handgun competency expires then. Asked her what about my S16 handgun that expires 2026, and she insisted the competency expires same time as my S13...
    I refuse to pay money to jump through a hoop the law doesn't require. How does one convince the DFO of the facts? I'm happy to argue/discuss the matter with them but they aren't interested in changing their views...

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Upon further research I came across this excerpt from a NHSA newsletter

https://natshoot.co.za/nhsa-info/nhs...2017/vol-13-08

"If one has a handgun (or shotgun) for self-defence (section 13), and one or more handguns for sport shooting (or shotguns for sport shooting or hunting) (section 15 or 16), one's handgun competency (or shotgun competency) expires on the date of one's sport shooting handgun licence (or shotgun licence) with the longest outstanding expiry date. One's application for renewal of one's handgun competency (or shotgun competency) must thus be handed in with the application for renewal of one's longest outstanding handgun licence (or shotgun licence) (at least 90 days before the longest outstanding licence expires)."

Which pretty much sums up my own understanding for the law.
    At Boksburg North police station I renewed my s13 licence and did not have to renew my competency because I have a s16 handgun expiring in 2024.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    At Boksburg North police station I renewed my s13 licence and did not have to renew my competency because I have a s16 handgun expiring in 2024.
    For my wife and myself at Kempton Park late last year as well - no issues because our S16's were still valid.

I had to do my license renewal for s13 handgun and my dfo insisted that i dont need to renew competency as i have sec16 semi auto and hunting rifles, so it seems everyone has a different view on this, still waiting though

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

User

I have also come across the perception that regardless of the license expiry dates a competency will expire after 10 years (if you have DSS licenses). This means my competency will expire i a year when I have no licenses expiring???

In theory i will always have a valid license so my competency shouldn’t expire (have two of each category licencesed in different years).

Absolutely crazy system. But whatever you do just don’t be late with your license application!

User

I have had the same experience multiple times with clients. My advice is always the same. We know/understand the law. However, unfortunately the inefficient SAPS administration at all levels are clueless. Unfortunately, it’s easier to just ensure that all your competencies are always valid and renewed than trying to explain the entire act to them. It’s really unnecessary extra work, but in the long run, ducks are in a row and they can’t find EVEN more made up reason to refuse any license