Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Seismic (high mass) 'Quakemaker' ammunition

I know, right... Who comes up with these brand names..? However, I digress...

http://Www.seismicammo.com

So Seismic is bringing to the market a 185gr 9mm bullet, and a soon-to-launch 325gr .45ACP round.

Seismic-Ammunition-1-660x330.jpg

In short, if you were wondering (as I did..), bullet material is normal lead, steel case (reloadable), and pressures in the "+P, to +P+ range". Subsonic 9mm round.

Speculation is for a price around $138. I'd would definitely be keen to try some of these - here's hoping our dealers will be able to import, although I know at a SA landing price that will make most shooters balk.

Anyone know whether our South African bullet manufacturers have ever dabbled in bullet development heavier that 150gr [9mm] ?

User

Default Re: Seismic (high mass) 'Quakemaker' ammunition

Not going to do anything existing bullet weights don’t already do. Except take money from people who want heavy Bullets.

User

Someone is yearning for the old brit revolver loads, trundling along at 500 fps. Beware! These will most likely bounce back to the shooter if you manage to hit a truck tire.

User

And here I thought the era of muzzle loading bullet / specifications are a thing of the past....

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Not going to do anything existing bullet weights don’t already do. Except take money from people who want heavy Bullets.
    If you want a heavier bullet, buy a bigger caliber!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

I don't see how that will reliably cycle in too many firearms with that ogive and bullet length. I wonder if sporting rules will allow a spotter for the shooter so he can accurately adjust for distance when shooting these bullets. The trajectory will definitely make a good case for it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't see how that will reliably cycle in too many firearms with that ogive and bullet length. I wonder if sporting rules will allow a spotter for the shooter so he can accurately adjust for distance when shooting these bullets. The trajectory will definitely make a good case for it.
    Those who usually tend to fall for this kind of marketing, also usually don't shoot all that far.

Or that accurately.

Or very regularly.

They tend to tell good stories around the braai though...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    If you want a heavier bullet, buy a bigger caliber!
    Tell that to the .300 Blackout guys :P

User

OK I started off wanting to speculate on the cognitive dissonnance of the guys that just bought a packet a RIP G2 last year...

But then I watched the video and had a look at the website. While I don't see a mass migration to "+M" (look, you gotta admire their marketing...) bullets and loads, I see nothing to suggest this isn't founded in solid science & engineering (unlike the mass-shedding buzz-saws, for instance). They don't mention speed in the video but I see 950fps on the website**, which isn't much slower than standard 147gr loads, but with 25% more mass (and thus momentum). If it expands similarly in target (the expanded rounds do look like expanded HSTs, don't they) that directly translates to higher impact momentum, better retained momentum and deeper penetration. I'm sure there are some applications where that's a definite advantage. For me, you and normal Joe Glock, there's probably no reason to replace less expensive, lighter ammo with crazy-expensive ballistic tunneling equipment (sorry, couldn't resist), but just perhaps some institutional users may be interested, and let's be honest, that's where the money's going to be. From the video it doesn't appear as if the guys who developed these are fly-by-nighters, they're in the business to make money.

**Technically, I would however question whether such high launch momentum is really the case, since that would also lead to high slide speeds, regardless if the pressure is capped at NATO spec (as mentioned in the video). This would lead to more rapid mechanical wear on the gun. Perhaps that's why they used a USP in the video!

If the launch momentum is NOT signifantly higher (ie the speed is 25% lower than standard 147gr loads) then the impact momentum would be similar (thus, no higher "knockdown power", as they call it). However, because of the higher mass, it would still retain momentum better and therefore penetrate (somewhat) deeper, other factors being equal.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Slaaibak View Post
    Tell that to the .300 Blackout guys :P
    ;-{>} Remembering that, at least in SA, I am one of the original 300 Blackout guys...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast