Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Thoughts & Opinions of a Israeli Mauser in 308

Hi have an Israeli Mauser. The stock was "modernised" by the previous owner. I bedded the action, fitted a timney trigger (which I had) and added a reflex suppressor. It's got a 20" stepped barrel with a 1:12" twist rate (fairly rare - 1:14" more common for military use). It shoots anything from 143g - 180g lead core bullets very well. I settled on 168g pmp pills for the type of hunting I do with this rifle, mostly pigs.

I'm really fond of the rifle and allot of people who own them love them.

However, as everyone else suggested, I won't take it above any of the suggested "good budget" rifles if I had to part with any real money. There is some work required to get them working as a hunting rifle. I got mine basically for free and had a ton of 308 loading components, so it all made sense.

If you can get one for a very good price and in good condition, it might be worth spending the time and effort to get it up to standard. Otherwise don't gamble and go down the Howa/M18/CZ route.

User

Default Re: Thoughts & Opinions of a Israeli Mauser in 308

Quote Originally Posted by jdvisagie View Post
    Hi have an Israeli Mauser. The stock was "modernised" by the previous owner. I bedded the action, fitted a timney trigger (which I had) and added a reflex suppressor. It's got a 20" stepped barrel with a 1:12" twist rate (fairly rare - 1:14" more common for military use). It shoots anything from 143g - 180g lead core bullets very well. I settled on 168g pmp pills for the type of hunting I do with this rifle, mostly pigs.

I'm really fond of the rifle and allot of people who own them love them.

However, as everyone else suggested, I won't take it above any of the suggested "good budget" rifles if I had to part with any real money. There is some work required to get them working as a hunting rifle. I got mine basically for free and had a ton of 308 loading components, so it all made sense.

If you can get one for a very good price and in good condition, it might be worth spending the time and effort to get it up to standard. Otherwise don't gamble and go down the Howa/M18/CZ route.
    Thank you jdvisagie
    for this update,if the Mauser will be available later at a very good price of between R3000-R4000 i might consider it maybe..but for now ill be saving up for that new rifle,also i need to do my comptency & the whole Police drama before i buy so that might just waver enough time to save up as much as i can then for now not forgetting that i have to buy a scope etc aswell..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4