Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Thoughts & Opinions of a Israeli Mauser in 308

I only have personal experience with a friend's stainless Howa.Both the bolt and action are noticable castings with very little finishing. Blued rifles may be more polished. The two CZ rifles I have, both newish production are pretty decent given what you pay for them.The bolt will feel different to a Howa as it has a much bigger extractor and lacks the Mauser anti bind rail (which helps guide the bolt).They are however very easy to smooth up into very nice actions.The older much lauded CZ actions were indeed rough but again easy to smooth up as the basic action is solid.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bismarck 1941 View Post
    So Money wise the Howa is a better bet than the CZ,what about the action?
    Is it as strong & safe as the CZ??

Is it as strong & safe as the CZ??
    Yes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Yes.
    Interesting indeed,barrel difference in terms of strengths & weaknesses??

Interesting indeed,barrel difference in terms of strengths & weaknesses??
    I do not think that either of the two have any advantage over the other in these areas. The only reason I can see for choosing a CZ over a Howa is if you have to have a controlled feed action. This will only be important in a dangerous game rifle for a ph guiding clients after dangerous game or a big game guide. Not all CZ's are built on controlled feed actions either.

I have had only one problem with one of my Howa's in many thousands of rounds, an overload (my fault) caused the case to stick in the chamber and the extractor ripped through the case rim. A controlled feed action might have extracted that case, maybe.

Over the same period, but with less shots, my controlled feed, Brno actioned 7x57 have let me down twice. It developed feeding problems and I had to replace the magazine spring and on another occasion the firing pin broke. Both happened while out hunting. The point is, rifles are mechanical devices and like any mechanical device they can malfunction. I would not hesitate to use either a CZ or a Howa 1500 as a general purpose hunting rifle. If you are on a tight budget the Howa is a better choice, use the money you save to buy a better scope.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I do not think that either of the two have any advantage over the other in these areas. The only reason I can see for choosing a CZ over a Howa is if you have to have a controlled feed action. This will only be important in a dangerous game rifle for a ph guiding clients after dangerous game or a big game guide. Not all CZ's are built on controlled feed actions either.

I have had only one problem with one of my Howa's in many thousands of rounds, an overload (my fault) caused the case to stick in the chamber and the extractor ripped through the case rim. A controlled feed action might have extracted that case, maybe.

Over the same period, but with less shots, my controlled feed, Brno actioned 7x57 have let me down twice. It developed feeding problems and I had to replace the magazine spring and on another occasion the firing pin broke. Both happened while out hunting. The point is, rifles are mechanical devices and like any mechanical device they can malfunction. I would not hesitate to use either a CZ or a Howa 1500 as a general purpose hunting rifle. If you are on a tight budget the Howa is a better choice, use the money you save to buy a better scope.
    Thank you TStone for that detailed feedback,financially i think i will never hunt for DG,just the occasional Kudu or even Eland or Bluewildebees or smaller depending on money for the hunt availability,so to sum up the Howa will then be a lifetime invetment if taken care of??.. & will only have to bring back the meat/biltong home..

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I only have personal experience with a friend's stainless Howa.Both the bolt and action are noticable castings with very little finishing. ...
    Did you know that CZ bolts and actions are all investment castings? And while the Howa actions have their whole outside surfaces machined, quite a few places on a CZ 550 are not. (Comparing blued rifles, as I have not seen a stainless CZ rifle yet.)

I still prefer my CZ's, but for other reasons than their external finishes. In that department they could do with some improvement.

Yep, I know how CZ is made. Have no problem with casting but the stainless Howa was noticable in how evident the casting was. There is nothing wrong with the finish on the latest 550; the ZKK action is a much rougher beast.

User

Go onto Zimbi Book's website and have a look at the Mauser M18. In the same price range as Howa and slightly cheaper than CZ.

If you reload then the .308 in a 7.62x51mm chamber will present case separation issues. One can get around this with reloading techniques however.

Those rifles were originally actions from the German 8mm Mauser which were re-barreled for military use. They are generally shot out, when last I looked they were selling for R 7k and then they still required tons of work. So if you want a project gun then maybe, I think the hole you will through time and money down would be large, if not rewarding though.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast