Default Old double barrel muzzleloader info

Hey guys looking for some info on this muzzleloader I have, have had it for a couple of years now and don't know anything about it just that it was ploughed out of a land by accident .
    Will post some photos hope someone can help me
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Old double barrel muzzleloader info

Quote Originally Posted by Koggelbeer View Post
    Hey guys looking for some info on this muzzleloader I have, have had it for a couple of years now and don't know anything about it just that it was ploughed out of a land by accident .
    Will post some photos hope someone can help me
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
    Will send you the info in regards to this rifle..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Will send you the info in regards to this rifle..
    NOOOOOO. Post it here :) we also want to know

User

JSF Botha was a well known Cape Town "gunmaker", along with a couple of hhis family members as I recall. In practise, their guns were either imported from the UK completely assembled but with the Botha name stamped on them (common pratice in those days), or assembled from components imported from the UK. I can't remember if Botha also sourced guns or parts from Belgium, which would have been the only likely alternative. Googling something like "JSF Botha" or "Botha Gunmaker Cape Town" should bring up enough hits to fill you in.

By far the best source of info on this sort of stuff is www.internetgunclub.com but you need to pay in order to access their historical database. If you are serious about learning about the gun, just close your eyes and pay the money. I have been a member from time to time and it was well worth it. Also check through their forums because sometimes you get lucky with info that has been copied across from the historical database to the forums.

I'm having a hard time reading the proof marks, but they are more than likely Birmingham proofs. For starters check out this link and compare to the marks on your gun in decent light with a magnifying glass. http://www.hallowellco.com/british_p...0by%20date.htm

Google "Birmingham Proof Marks" for more detailed information.

User

PS: Judging by the engraving and the detailed fitting of the metal bits on the underside of the forearm, this wasn't a bottom-of-range budget gun. Somebody spent money on it because he wanted a better grade gun.

User

Koggelbeer, :
    "Cape Gun, linker loop naastenby .577, gladde loop net oor 16 ga /boor. Doppieslot voorlaaier, rondom 1850 era ,

"Cape Gun"left barrel is around a .577 , smooth barrel about 16 ga, manufacture around 1850 era...if you can send me the inscriptions I will be able to get more info? How many grooves does the .577 barrel have???

Please, do not de-activate this rifle???? Take good care with it, you can contact Johan Greyling to buy black powder, if you do not have a competency it will make good sense to get a black powder competency and apply for a permit to buy black powder...

User

Here are photos of another gun from the same company ...my friend Volkmar Bunge has this rifle ..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Here are photos of another gun from the same company ...my friend Volkmar Bunge has this rifle ..
    Gert, is Volkmar the same Volkmar that's a gunsmith in Dundee, kzn??

User

Yes he is