Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Benelli Manual of Arms

Referring to http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?1363-Advice-on-choosing-a-pump-action/page8

Done a bit of homework, am I correct in assuming that Benelli is just as well, or even better, represented here in SA than a company like Mossberg - Benelli seemingly being supported by many well-known local dealers.

From a SA perspective, would you say the Benelli is well supported? So theoretically spare parts should be readily available?

I have done some training and competing with my 1300, but do not have much experience with a semi-auto shotgun, and none with a Benelli.

Referring to the abovementioned thread, I am considering getting a shotgun for DSS. I love my 1300, and do not want to get rid of it, but spare parts might become difficult to obtain. I like the Moss 590A1 pump, but since I already have a pump action, I am considering and testing the water for getting a semi, most likely some sort of Benelli. I realise though that it might be more difficult to license.

Being left handed myself, the Benelli seemingly has the benefit that the safety can be reversed, although the tang safety of the Mossberg might work better.

Pump vs Semi both has its advantages and advocates, but in your experience, how robust / reliable would for instance something like the M4 be in comparison with a 950A1 pump (seeing as both are supposed to be “military grade”), with regard to maintenance, parts breakage, etc.? I realise ammo selection should be taken into consideration for the semi, just like any other semi auto firearm.

Getting to the manual of arms – adequate training is of course always the answer, but how much harder is it to run, clear malfunctions / tac load a semi vs a pump? Would you say the pump is that much easier / simpler to keep running?

Also, still a matter of adequate training, and probably overthinking it, but comparing the manual of arms of the Benelli to an AR: Malfunction clearance seems will be more or less the same. Being left handed though, I work the AR bolt release with my left-hand index finger. The Benelli bolt release is located on the opposite (right hand) side of the receiver. If, however you have a BAD lever installed on your AR, the position of the bolt release will be more or less the same, I think (thinking about it now, perhaps a BAD lever on my AR might not be a “bad” idea even if I’m left handed…).

My question is, seeing as both the AR and Benelli are semi auto, do you suppose there is a possibility of getting the bolt releases / other controls mixed up in a brain fart situation, or shouldn’t it be a problem since manual of arms / reloading sequence is different?

In the end, is the Benelli as good as everyone says and is it worth the extra money? :-)

User

Default Re: Benelli Manual of Arms

In my experience a quality semi auto shotgun is more reliable than a pump. I know this flies in the face of common lore, but I've seen it enough on the range to be happy to make the claim. By quality I mean made in Italy starts with a B and ends in a vowel. With either a ennell or a erett in the middle.

The manual of arms isn't going to get confused between an Ar and a shotgun by anyone who makes any effort. They're different enough that your brain should have no difficulty accessing the correct "file" if you put the training in.

With regards Pumps the Supernova is likely the best around. But they can require some work to get running the way we run them

Bad levers are the devil and should be thrown in a fire.

Thanks for the advice T, appreciate it!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

The Benelli M2 is an excellent and extremely reliable shotgun. Currently Hailstorm has the small spares in stock. The spares have been in stock for about a year and afaik Hailstorm has not sold one spare part to someone who broke something on a M2.

Thanks for adding fuel to the fire Khumba! :-)
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Quote Originally Posted by 47 View Post
    Thanks for adding fuel to the fire Khumba! :-)
    All kidding aside, thanks for sharing this info Khumba, appreciate it. Very reassuring. Some big decisions to make!

User

Many moons ago when 3 gun was in its infancy and teams consist of 6 shooters we used a Browning semi auto between 2 teams. It shot about 700 rounds on that day with 2 failures to reload. We suspect the shooters didn't had a proper fit in the shoulder to recycle properly.

User

I've an old Beretta 1201FP which uses the intertia driven system. Haven't used it extensively but it's been 100% reliable with whatever I've fed it. Can lay down quite a phenomenal rate of fire. Stupidly simple to operate and maintain.

Since my experience is almost exclusively with pump actions, mostly carried in cruiser ready, from what I've read and seen the operation of the Benelli bolt group - although it certainly has benefits - is a bit harder for me to comprehend at this stage (for instance carry conditions, loading procedures, etc.) - will have to play with it first!

User

Quote Originally Posted by 47 View Post
    Since my experience is almost exclusively with pump actions, mostly carried in cruiser ready, from what I've read and seen the operation of the Benelli bolt group - although it certainly has benefits - is a bit harder for me to comprehend at this stage (for instance carry conditions, loading procedures, etc.) - will have to play with it first!
    If you can operate a toaster you can operate a Benelli

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast