Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Iron sights on Howa or similar

HI all

Does anyone know of aftermarket iron sights for Howa rifles. I am dead keen on .308 all-rounder but I think I would like to have the option using iron sights if needed.

I would ultimately like something like the CZ 557 ranger or that very nice looking Tikka arctic but at a lower price point.

Or any other suggestions?

Ikwane

User

Default Re: Iron sights on Howa or similar

When not using the hypothetical iron sights, what scope do you intend to fit?
    Which conditions do you foresee where you anticipate iron sights would be benificial on a 308?

my suggestion is to forget about the iron sights, rather spend the money on "more scope" and get something high quality in the 2-10x range, so that you can go nice and wide, as well as close in.

I handled a Mauser M18 over the weekend. It's essentially a Sauer 100 action, selling for slightly more than Howa type money. Very nice...

If you REALLY want iron sights, get hold of a BRNO ZKK and fit Warne QuickRelease scope mounts. But be prepared to look back some years down the line and realise you've never taken the scope off.

Banned

This sounds really interesting. Would you please explain how or when iron sights would be preferable to a scope?

Have you thought about a red dot sight? That could be an alternative to iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    This sounds really interesting. Would you please explain how or when iron sights would be preferable to a scope?

Have you thought about a red dot sight? That could be an alternative to iron sights.
    Not preferable to to a scope, simply having the option would be nice. Why? I suppose I could say in case my scope was damaged but in reality I might simply want to shoot with iron sights (not hunt).

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    When not using the hypothetical iron sights, what scope do you intend to fit?
    Which conditions do you foresee where you anticipate iron sights would be benificial on a 308?

my suggestion is to forget about the iron sights, rather spend the money on "more scope" and get something high quality in the 2-10x range, so that you can go nice and wide, as well as close in.

I handled a Mauser M18 over the weekend. It's essentially a Sauer 100 action, selling for slightly more than Howa type money. Very nice...

If you REALLY want iron sights, get hold of a BRNO ZKK and fit Warne QuickRelease scope mounts. But be prepared to look back some years down the line and realise you've never taken the scope off.
    I was thinking along the lines of 1-6 or 2-7 2-10 scope. I must confess I am somewhat inspired by the scout rifle type idea.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    But be prepared to look back some years down the line and realise you've never taken the scope off.
    I reckon this is a pretty accurate foretelling. On the topic, I was looking at a warthog through open sights at about 220m a few weekends back, and was like "hell no, I cant take a shot here, no ways". Maybe its just my eyes, but all I could do was wonder in amazement how the guys did it back in the day by hitting running brain shots on springbok at 400m with open sights...they truly were incredible shooters "back then", almost unbelievable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of 1-6 or 2-7 2-10 scope. I must confess I am somewhat inspired by the scout rifle type idea.
    Most of my mates spent their youth behind a fixed 6x or similar...I reckon a .308 with a 1-6 to a 2-10 would be epic.

User

How about a Red dot? Does everything open sighs would do, and then some.

Doesn't take a lot of space in a rucksack, and should maintain zero if the optic and QD mounts are decent.

If you are dead set on iron sights have a look at the Legacy Sports website.

I want to remember that they have a Scout Model in 308, with open sights. Maybe it's possible to order it for you?

Otherwise just look for a decent custom rifle builder.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    Not preferable to to a scope, simply having the option would be nice. Why? I suppose I could say in case my scope was damaged but in reality I might simply want to shoot with iron sights (not hunt).
    I shot my (BRNO ZKK) 308 once or twice with open sights. Killed a paper zebra with 2 consecutive heart shots from an improbable range (looking back today, I know the rifle is fully capable, but I'm more surprised now that I managed it than I was at the time, not knowing what I didn't know...) Very soon the novelty wore off and I wanted to extract maximum performance from the rifle, which just isn't possible without a scope.

These days I cannot see the need to use open sights on a medium-bore rifle, from a South-African hunting context. I can most definitely see the value in sometimes having low magnification on a scope, so if you're willing to spend the money there (like it sounds if you are) then you can really put together a very capable combination. A quick Google shows really nice 2-10x offerings from Leupold, Sig and Nightforce, to name a few...

If the open sights bug is niggling, why not look around for a nice 303 or 8x57, and shoot it in NHSA's Historic Rifle category. Good reason to get another gun!

User

I was going to go irons on a 338 wm. Smith said barrel was too thin to drill and tap. He tried some horrible soldering thing that didn't work on stainless barrel. Removed sights. Didn't bother getting a second opinion. Bought a RMR sight and fluctuate between a scope and it with warne QR rings. Works well and no regrets.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast