Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Iron sights on Howa or similar

True. Look for a No4 mk2 or a No5. The short one.

User

Most terrains where close up shooting is required often transitions into open spaces here and there, it's not like you crawl into a tunnel and shooting only happens at 10m.
    So while being equipped for short range shooting with iron sights or an RDS helps in the thickets, you don't have the option to use it in multiple terrains. For example most people with normal scopes turns them down when hunting in the thickets, like 3 or 4 times magnification, the second you leave the thickets you have the option to dial it up as needed.

In the end it all comes down to the percentage use, meaning the equipment must be suited to the task that will percentage wise be done most.
    If you have one rifle that you use for everything, get a variable scope.
    If you have a rifle for the plains and one for bush only, equip them with whatever is suited best.

That said, the discussion is based on price, not so, the goal was to build a proper "scout" rifle by fiddling with the components, optics etc.
    That means you will have to buy a howa, and a scope also, correct?
    Would it not make more sense then to just buy the scout rifle now, with no optic, and then make the scope a separate purchase when the funds are avail? You can shoot the scout rifle as is, the initial requirement, great pig gun etc, and then fit it with a proper optic later to expand it's capabilities.

Yes, perhaps, thanks. Any suggestions on the rifle? I looked briefly at the Tikka Artic. Looks brilliant but they dont let them go for nothing.

Currently value for money is NB. I doing a belated postdoc. I earn a stipend. read into that what you will.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    If you REALLY want iron sights, get hold of a BRNO ZKK and fit Warne QuickRelease scope mounts. But be prepared to look back some years down the line and realise you've never taken the scope off.
    Leupold makes some lekker cheap QR mounts that's guaranteed to 1/2 MOA on replacement. The set, meaning bases and rings for most rifles, is cheaper than most Warne bases alone. It's a worthy option, IMO, and probably one I'm going to take as well, unless I can get some really damning advice against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Leupold makes some lekker cheap QR mounts that's guaranteed to 1/2 MOA on replacement. The set, meaning bases and rings for most rifles, is cheaper than most Warne bases alone. It's a worthy option, IMO, and probably one I'm going to take as well, unless I can get some really damning advice against it.
    Any damning evidence?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    Yes, perhaps, thanks. Any suggestions on the rifle? I looked briefly at the Tikka Artic. Looks brilliant but they dont let them go for nothing.

Currently value for money is NB. I doing a belated postdoc. I earn a stipend. read into that what you will.
    There is a lot out there, the Steyr scout is probably the grand daddy, then Savage makes the 110 scout, and then you get the Ruger gunsite scout rifle.

The Steyr is obviously most expensive, the Ruger in-between, and the savage being the most budget.
    The Steyr and Ruger also comes in the new 6.5 needmoor, but for the type of rifle I guess the 308 is best.

Personally, I would want the Steyr, but probably buy the Ruger.

User

Any damning evidence?
    Someone on here telling me they're shit. I see you can get bases and rings from Leupold for under R1k if you shop around a bit, so that's really cheap. So cheap that I'm worried there might be something wrong with it.

Banned

I was thinking along the lines of 1-6 or 2-7 2-10 scope. I must confess I am somewhat inspired by the scout rifle type idea.

Firstly, I have to be cross with you because you got me into a lot of trouble yesterday with the mrs. You mentioned the Tikka Arctic, I started reading up and forgot to bath and wash the kids. (No not really, I just ran late - just kidding!) The Tikka Arctic is surely a dream rifle!

You are in for a nice time of research, reading, doing math and generally having a great time until you know what you can get with the money at hand.

My basic suggestion is to plan the whole procedure on paper and then proceed as your money allows.

Whether you choose an Enfield 303 or a Howa 308 would not make much difference. In both cases you would probably have to spend some time and money to get your dream rifle. The basic idea of a scout rifle is a shorter barrel, open sights, forward placed telescope with long eye relief, higher capacity magazine, sling attachments and accurate performance. Either the Enfield or the Howa would have to be worked on to get to a favourable end result.

Some ideas:

One of the reasons the Canadian Rangers were moving away from the Enfield 303 is the unavailability of spares. There are apparently enough spares available in SA, but the age of the rifles as well as their history count against them. To get scout rifle accuracy out of a standard Enfield 303 would be a challenge, or you could search for a P-14 action and put on a new barrel. If you use a standard Enfield action you would need to reload for your rifle because of the generally oversized chambers.

In this regard the Howa makes more sense because you can get a new rifle - in stainless - with a better spares availability, a bigger choice of ammunition and better accuracy.

The shorter barrel can be done by a gunsmith, but in both the Enfield and the Howa the iron sights will need to be improvised to a certain amount. The Howa comes without factory sights, but I found this thread where aftermarket sights for a Howa are concerned: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...A-Rifles/page6 . Maybe you can find all the necessary parts for converting your rifle with Williamsgunsmith, or maybe locally with Thor Ingeneurswerke.

In this sense the Enfield 303 makes more sense because the back sights are already fitted.

Fitting a forward telescope might prove a challenge on either rifles. The Howa would need a long rail, but at least it is comes drilled and tapped. The Enfield would probably need to be drilled an tapped.

User

I've got a .303 CLLE that I love shooting open sights, admittedly only on the shooting range as I haven't taken it hunting (yet?)

I also shot my '70's era .243 Voere built on a Mauser action with open sights on the range for a while. Lots of fun, but a bit uncomfortable because the comb was really a bit high for unscoped use.

For anyone that hasn't shot open-sight centrefire rifle for a while, give it a bash, it made me smile and it might do the same for you. Using a rifle without a scope makes it feel much lighter and better handling than the figures for difference in weight would lead one to believe. For me, the percieved recoil was notieably less without a scope than with a scope. Probably mostly a factor of cheek weld.

I fully understand wanting to have a rifle with open sights, but as has been suggested already by others, my own experience has taught me that the rifle should be a dedicated open-sight rifle. Because for me, this would be a fun thing I also wouldn't want to have to put too much money or work into getting it "right" so I wouldn't for example buy a new rifle without sights then have sights fitted to it. Having previously applied my mind to this, and handled a few assorted unscoped rifles that fitted in pretty well with what I was picturing, I arrived at the following:

- Personal first choice would be a Brno ZKK601 in .308 and I would try to find one with the pop-up peep sight located in the rear receiver bridge. These rifles also had a normal rear sight on the barrel, so one could use either sight. The stock was correct for unscoped use. If need be, they are also easy to fit a scope to but the comb is far too low for comfortable scoped use. As an added bonus, the scope mounting system is just about as simple and easy to take off and put back on as QD mounts or a picatinny rail system. While I haven't personally tested it, I'm pretty sure one would still be very close to zero after removing and replacing a scope. Also available in plenty of other calibers.

- My second choice would be a .303 No.4, which also has a peep sight but no "normal" rear sight.

The .303 would be the cheaper option, both in terms of initial purchase price and of ammo supply because there still seems to be plenty of old .303 ammo in circulation. If I was going to be reloading and/or using the rifle for anything more than fun I wouldn't want to take on the risk of mixed & assorted 303 ammo that keeps falling into my hands in which case ammo costs would be the same for either of the above options.

User

Coming from a .303 owner - I wouldn't buy a .303 rifle to convert into a scout rifle. It takes quite a bit of money to get them into a proper shooting condition. I would rather buy a new rifle at a bargain if you're considering chopping it anyway, and you don't worry about the stock and so on.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast