Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: Iron sights on Howa or similar

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    My itch (irrational though it may be) to have a iron sight rifle can be scratched by a decent Lee Enfield. I may just find a decent one (No4 Mark2) and shoot at gongs with it or I may fiddle with it and then shoot gongs with it.

Does anyone have any insights into how viable it is to shorten one to say 20inch or there abouts and keep the standard iron sights?

Out of interest, there are a few companies in the US that make very low profile picatinny (or weaver style) rails for Lee Enfields that allow for the use of iron sights. Obviously not when its scoped. I may source something like that.
    The front sight on a no4 is mounted to a ring that fits around the barrel. It should be possible to drill out the hole in the ring and mount it further back along the barrel. It will just not be able to get supported by the bayonet lugs, but the cross-pin will still hold it correctly. The hole needs to be larger as the barrel tapers.

When moving the sight, keep in mind that the rifles tend to shoot high with the large aperture "battle sight", as it was intended for a 300yd zero or something close to that. To get it zeroed at, say 100m, you may need to raise the sight. If the enlarged hole is drilled off-centre to the bottom (on a lathe), the sight will raise and you can then do the final elevation adjustment by filing the sight blade down in small increments.

Thanks AR. I have found a collection of Lee Enfield manuals and the exploded schematics show the front sight can be removed relatively easily as you said. I also se fron sights of various heights are available should something more radical be need.

The more I think about the more I like the idea but the less inclined I am to modify an old war horse. Such is life.

Banned

Thanks AR. I have found a collection of Lee Enfield manuals and the exploded schematics show the front sight can be removed relatively easily as you said. I also se fron sights of various heights are available should something more radical be need.

The more I think about the more I like the idea but the less inclined I am to modify an old war horse. Such is life.
    If you can find a sporterised rifle you can chop and change all you like. Rebuild sights, add features or shorten the necessary bits and pieces.

User

Ikhwane,
    If there's a classic bone in your body, you will not find a finer rifle designed specifically for open sights than an early model Mannlicher Schonauer full stock carbine. Prices vary a great deal from untouched to modified but they can be picked up reasonably. They have always suffered from the difficulty of fitting a scope, but if that's not on the cards, no problem. If you avoid the more desireable 6.5x54M-S and look for e.g a 9.5, you'll find one with a bit of patience. If you're worried about ammo, I've seen plenty in .308. No better carbine exists for sheer handling pleasure and class IMHO.
    It's going to be more than the plethora of available .303's around, but worth it in the long run. Just a thought!

User

Shops like Shooting Stuff sometimes have a few old .303's that's already been butchered to bits, for cheap. Their list is shorter now, but before they'd often have some on there for under R2k. List here: https://www.shootingstuff.co.za/medi...fPricelist.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrage View Post
    Ikhwane,
    If there's a classic bone in your body, you will not find a finer rifle designed specifically for open sights than an early model Mannlicher Schonauer full stock carbine. Prices vary a great deal from untouched to modified but they can be picked up reasonably. They have always suffered from the difficulty of fitting a scope, but if that's not on the cards, no problem. If you avoid the more desireable 6.5x54M-S and look for e.g a 9.5, you'll find one with a bit of patience. If you're worried about ammo, I've seen plenty in .308. No better carbine exists for sheer handling pleasure and class IMHO.
    It's going to be more than the plethora of available .303's around, but worth it in the long run. Just a thought!

Yes. Beautiful. I saw a a modern version of this. A Serbian made Zastava with a full stock. I will have a look about. To be honest I had not thought of this. Thanks.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6