Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The only real limitation is the effective employment range. Despite the long range exploits of the BP cartridge shooting crowd in their (very nice) Sharps and similar single-shot rifles, in the Marlin the 45-70 is mostly a short-range hunting cartridge. That limits it's versatility compared to, say a 9,3x62 or 375H&H. So you want this rifle as a dedicated bush rifle and limit your shots to 100 or maybe at the most 150m. But therein lies the real beauty of this beast. It makes you a better hunter.
    Pretty much this, getting a rifle that has a definite limited range shouldn’t be seen as a negative. It’ll make the hunt very exciting.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Default Re: Marlin 1895SBL limitations?

There is a serious on youtube where a guy succesfully hunts the big 6 with a lever in 45-70
    Lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, rhino and hippo. While i wont chance that it does say something

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    There is a serious on youtube where a guy succesfully hunts the big 6 with a lever in 45-70
    Lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, rhino and hippo. While i wont chance that it does say something
    It does say something, it says that it is possible to hunt the big six with an inadequate caliber :)

The big six have been successfully killed with the 7x57, 7.62x51, .303 British, .30-'06 Springfield and several other calibers that are not really considered suitable for the job these days.

Having said that, the .45-70 is a good bushveld cartridge for pigs and antelope.

Banned

Didn't Teddy Roosevelt use a 45-70 with success on an African safari?

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Didn't Teddy Roosevelt use a 45-70 with success on an African safari?
    The lever action he used was a Winchester 1895 in .405 (he liked it for lion), however, he used several other rifles, including a .450 nitro double for the bigger stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The lever action he used was a Winchester 1895 in .405 (he liked it for lion), however, he used several other rifles, including a .450 nitro double for the bigger stuff.
    And if you don't know what a Winchester 1895 lever action is or looks like, you have a big hole in your rifle education.

It was fed from a box mag and made in several calibers, including 405 Win, 30-06 Spr, 303 Brit, 30-40 Krag and 7,62x54R, the latter as a full-stocked military musket for the Tsar's army.

It was way ahead of it's time. Compare it to the Mauser and Lee rifles from the same time frame.

The Winchester 1896 was a big lever action rifle with tubular magazine that was chambered for the 45-70 and similar big bores.

I have shot an 1895 in .405. Recoil was, probably due to stock design and lack of a recoil pad, quite noticeable. I would not mind having one though

User

Thank you gents for all the replies, truly grateful. I am going to purchase one as soon as I find stock. The shops who had stock have had deposits put down on them(Giving clients a month for the balance). So hopefully someone defaults and I can grab one. If you have happen to spot one for sale at a credible firearm dealer, I would appreciate the lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2