Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Rifle barrels that will withstand a barrel burner caliber - 6.5X68S

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Update:
    Members, I am fortunate to get hold of a Carl Gustafson action for a 6.5x55 caliber..since the 6.5 x 68S barrel does not have a chamber I decided to build a 6.5 x 55 cal on the action..it will be a 28" long barrel with a rifling twist of 1: 8...and a heavy sportster barrel profile ...I already have a lot of brass just bought from a friend in the USA for R8 a piece..the reamer I have a choice between a standard 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser or an AI Improve 6.5 x55 ? Would like to hear your members opinions about what reamer .caliber I need to use since the reamers cost about the same ...
    I therefore need to buy dies as well...
    The bottom metal is a double set trigger with a hinge bottom plate ..
    Gert. Looking at the pics of the action, I notice that the cocking piece and flag safety don't look like the typical mod 98 Mauser, but rather like the earlier 1896 or older types. These are not known for their strength and were built for calibres with lower pressure specs than what modern cartridges usually generate. I would urge you to investigate the strength of the action before deciding on a calibre barrel to fit on to it.

Same goes for the thumb cut-out in the left action wall. This tends to allow a lot of flex in the action, which gets worse with a long and/or heavy profile barrel. The weight of the barrel pulls down and the action does not have the strength to resist the pull. In original military full-stock trim, the stock would have supported the barrel and action, reducing the problem. In sporter form, and especially with a free-floated barrel, there is very little support and accuracy problems occour. Consider some support for the action to prevent it from flexing. One of the tricks employed by the older generation of gunsmiths, when building accurate rifles on actions with the cut-out, was to weld the sturdy mag box to the action, creating a strong web to prevent the flexing. At the very least get a rigid stock and bed it with full support beneath a substantial portion of the barrel.

Also, it looks like the extractor claw is missing. Should not be too hard to find one?

User

[QUOTE=A-R;1312125]Gert. Looking at the pics of the action, I notice that the cocking piece and flag safety don't look like the typical mod 98 Mauser, but rather like the earlier 1896 or older types.
    Yes it does look a bit anemic, like there is some metal missing ???? - you say 96 (1896), but it is stamped 1917, are the bolts interchangeable or are you questioning the stamp date ????

User

Members, I bought a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser reamer for the small caliber hunting rifle . The 6.5 Shilen barrel, 28" inches , magnum sportster profile, 1:8 rifling twist, will cut the crown, cut thread, and cut the chamber myself...

6.5 x 55 Swedish (SAAMI) Chamber Reamer -
    Choose Pilot Type : Solid Pilot, Choose
    Reamer Type : Finisher
    $105.00 1 $105.00

Total Products $105.00
    Shipping Cost $10.60
    Total (Tax excl.) $115.60
    Total $115.60
    It is on it`s way ....I already commence working on the Carl Gustafson action..will blueprint it , bend the bolt handle and do some cosmetic upgrades to the action....

Members, I bought a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser reamer for the small caliber hunting rifle . The 6.5 Shilen barrel, 28" inches , magnum sportster profile, 1:8 rifling twist, will cut the crown, cut thread, and cut the chamber myself...

6.5 x 55 Swedish (SAAMI) Chamber Reamer -
    Choose Pilot Type : Solid Pilot, Choose
    Reamer Type : Finisher
    $105.00 1 $105.00

Total Products $105.00
    Shipping Cost $10.60
    Total (Tax excl.) $115.60
    Total $115.60
    It is on it`s way ....I already commence working on the Carl Gustafson action..will blueprint it , bend the bolt handle and do some cosmetic upgrades to the action....
    Going to be aa great shooter. The Swede is great choice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Edwill, yes, everything I read about the Swede is positive ...I do not think it has a large following here in SA...maybe more in Europe since it is the country or origin ..in SA the Mauser 6.5 x 57 Mauser was never used in military service...it was a sporting cartridge Paul Mauser neck down the 7 x 57 Mauser down to the 6.5 x 57 Mauser..some interesting note:
    This caliber was used by a certain Pete Pearson , Australian big game hunter who use to shot elephant with the 6.5 x 57 Mauser..he was about as a famous person a " Karomojo" Bell..I think the 7x57 Mauser is maybe the best well known caliber in SA..
    I really am looking forward building the 6.5 x 55 Swede build...next week I will commence with the 8x68S rifle stock build..all the metal work on the Mauser action is completed..I will build the Mauser 6.5 x 55 Swede rifle stock while building the 8 x68S rifle stock...

User

[QUOTE=treeman;1312137]
    Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Gert. Looking at the pics of the action, I notice that the cocking piece and flag safety don't look like the typical mod 98 Mauser, but rather like the earlier 1896 or older types.
    Yes it does look a bit anemic, like there is some metal missing ???? - you say 96 (1896), but it is stamped 1917, are the bolts interchangeable or are you questioning the stamp date ????
    AR, keep in mind this is not a heavy recoil caliber rifle I am building. It has a low to moderate recoil, fitting a silencer will even take the recoil out of contention... I believe the Swedish Mauser action is made of the best steel you got in those years...the European countries re-load this caliber at high pressures, will in the USA this is reloaded to low muzzle velocities....when bedding a rifle stock and add recoil lugs this combination really is strong and withstand pressure well....here is an opinion of one of the greatest rifle/caliber designers:

The 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser was the standard military cartridge for Sweden for over 50 years. The cartridge is "soft" loaded in the US as is the 7 X 57 Mauser. The Europeans load the cartridge much hotter and have used the cartridge for years as a primary hunting cartridge for medium sized game.

The cartridge is capable of excellent accuracy with sub MOA groups being very common. The standard twist of the Swedish Mauser rifles is 1 turn in 7.5 inches. The fast twist produces very good accuracy with bullets ranging from 85 grains to 160 grains. The 85 grain bullets and 100 grain bullets are excellent performers even with a jump between the bullet and the rifling.

A word about the Swedish Mauser rifles, P. O. Ackley considered the Swedes to be the very best of the 1895 Style Mauser actions to sportarize. They do make a very pretty little package when dressed up and polished out.

User

Members, at this stage I have the following components to build the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser caliber as a hunting/fun shooting rifle:

The Shilen barrel, 28" inches long
    The 6.5 x55 Swedish Mauser solid pilot reamer PTG/R company,
    100 X Lapua 6.5 x55 Swedish Mauser brass ( got it for free from my good friend Georg in Germany)
    50 X Norma brass 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser
    1X RAM -Line rifle stock ( gift from Georg in Germany)
    All missing parts on the Carl Gustafson action, the extractor, the collar ring( on their way from Germany)
    Telescope that will be conducive to hunting/target/ghong shooting

Pretty much all I am in need to build and complete this project as soon as I completed the 8x68S rifle build...

User

Edwill, yes, everything I read about the Swede is positive ...I do not think it has a large following here in SA...maybe more in Europe since it is the country or origin ..in SA the Mauser 6.5 x 57 Mauser was never used in military service...it was a sporting cartridge Paul Mauser neck down the 7 x 57 Mauser down to the 6.5 x 57 Mauser..some interesting note:
    This caliber was used by a certain Pete Pearson , Australian big game hunter who use to shot elephant with the 6.5 x 57 Mauser..he was about as a famous person a " Karomojo" Bell..I think the 7x57 Mauser is maybe the best well known caliber in SA..
    I really am looking forward building the 6.5 x 55 Swede build...next week I will commence with the 8x68S rifle stock build..all the metal work on the Mauser action is completed..I will build the Mauser 6.5 x 55 Swede rifle stock while building the 8 x68S rifle stock...
    [QUOTE=treeman;1312137]
    Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Gert. Looking at the pics of the action, I notice that the cocking piece and flag safety don't look like the typical mod 98 Mauser, but rather like the earlier 1896 or older types.
    Gert, I have no intention of putting a brake on your enthusiasm. Please do not see my cautionary comment as such. What I am alluding at is that these actions were built on the older 1895-1896 Mauser designs. These were built for 45 000 PSI cartridges, and were not intended for use with the high pressure (60 000+ PSI) cartridges we now have. The lower pressures that the 7x57 and 6,5x55 factory ammo is loaded to in the US and elsewhere, are specifically kept low to accomodate these older and weaker actions.

The issue is not with recoil, but with the action's ability to contain pressure. There was a story fairly recently about a man who got the firing pin from a 1991 Belgian Mauser through his eye and into his brain. The old action was fitted with a 308 barrel and he used a friend's reloads. It was also weakened by drilling and tapping it.

So, while the action was made of good steel in 1917, the design is still the older, low pressure version.

The higher pressure loadings used nowadays are invariably shot from more modern rifles that were built to contain these pressures.

You would be wise to keep the loads on your custom 6,5x55 Swede to within the original pressure specs.

If you want modern short magnum performance from your rifle, you should build it on an action that was originally designed to handle modern pressures.

Just my opinion. It's your eye that will be behind the action when you pull the trigger.

User

[QUOTE=A-R;1312984]
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

Gert, I have no intention of putting a brake on your enthusiasm. Please do not see my cautionary comment as such. What I am alluding at is that these actions were built on the older 1895-1896 Mauser designs. These were built for 45 000 PSI cartridges, and were not intended for use with the high pressure (60 000+ PSI) cartridges we now have. The lower pressures that the 7x57 and 6,5x55 factory ammo is loaded to in the US and elsewhere, are specifically kept low to accomodate these older and weaker actions.

The issue is not with recoil, but with the action's ability to contain pressure. There was a story fairly recently about a man who got the firing pin from a 1991 Belgian Mauser through his eye and into his brain. The old action was fitted with a 308 barrel and he used a friend's reloads. It was also weakened by drilling and tapping it.

So, while the action was made of good steel in 1917, the design is still the older, low pressure version.

The higher pressure loadings used nowadays are invariably shot from more modern rifles that were built to contain these pressures.

You would be wise to keep the loads on your custom 6,5x55 Swede to within the original pressure specs.

If you want modern short magnum performance from your rifle, you should build it on an action that was originally designed to handle modern pressures.

Just my opinion. It's your eye that will be behind the action when you pull the trigger.
    A-R , thank you kindly for this advice. it is something I always keep in mind when building on the Mauser actions. A-R, at this stage I am contemplating re-barrel this Mauser 98K carbine in the 7.62 caliber to the 6.5 X 55 Swede when I receive the new 6.5 x 55 Swede barrel ..I can blue print the action that is in great condition with no pit marks or wear visible ...On the end of the day it will look like the Mauser 8x68S rifle I am currently building...these 7.62 Nato converted Mausers was made by FN (Fabrique Nationale ) it is a good quality action as well. Keep in mind the Mausers made by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium were all new made receivers and bolts when they re -barrel Mauser 98 K Mausers for Israel..

I think I will probably use the Israeli Mauser action in the 7.62 caliber I have as a rifle I am not shooting..(Jerry Kuhnhausen expert Mauser gunsmith...The Mauser M91 through M98 Bolt Actions: A Shop Manual.

He also commented on the Carl Gustafson Mauser actions...they are for low pressure cambering ..Although on another page he indicated that the Carl Gustafson actions were made from high quality steel..

User

Some interesting opinions in this article:
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...barrels/328799

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast