Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Rifle barrels that will withstand a barrel burner caliber - 6.5X68S

Members, I am in need of knowledge and opinions in regards to the following issue :Are there, with new technology rifle barrel manufactures that make rifle barrels that will withstand the destructive force of a caliber like the 6.5x68 ?

I really want to hear from any person who have knowledge about barrel manufacturing processes /metallurgic knowledge as well and any person who has a caliber that is known as a "barrel burner" ...

All information/opinions /practical experience will be welcomed ...

Default Re: Rifle barrels that will withstand a barrel burner caliber - 6.5X68S

The steel you need is crucible 416R.

It is said to wear less than chrome-moly in the throat area, and wears less than straight 416 stainless.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    The steel you need is crucible 416R.

It is said to wear less than chrome-moly in the throat area, and wears less than straight 416 stainless.
    414Gates, thank you kindly..will see if there is a company who make barrels with this type of steel..

User

Buy a longer thicker barrel and shorten it from the chamber side when accuracy begins to be affected by throat erosion.

Some gunsmiths is of the opinion that Lothar Walther barrels is a bit harder than the others.
    IMO your shooting style will help more than the small difference in metal composition, keep your shot strings short (max 5shots) and allow the barrel to cool down completely.
    I know of a few guys that got more barrel life from a 6.5-284 than others got from something like a 260AI, the guys that shoot the 6.5-284 was more interested in first round hits at long range than groups of 5 shot strings. They normally allowed the barrel to cool down for 10min and focused on first round hits, your ability to read the conditions will also be greatly improved because you have to start from scratch after each shot in reading how the conditions will affect your bullet path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    Some gunsmiths is of the opinion that Lothar Walther barrels is a bit harder than the others.
    IMO your shooting style will help more than the small difference in metal composition, keep your shot strings short (max 5shots) and allow the barrel to cool down completely.
    I know of a few guys that got more barrel life from a 6.5-284 than others got from something like a 260AI, the guys that shoot the 6.5-284 was more interested in first round hits at long range than groups of 5 shot strings. They normally allowed the barrel to cool down for 10min and focused on first round hits, your ability to read the conditions will also be greatly improved because you have to start from scratch after each shot in reading how the conditions will affect your bullet path.

Hein, thank you...Hein, do they use these calibers for target shooting, gong shooting or mainly for hunting purposes??? How intense is ghong shooting with these barrel burning calibers???

User

According to barrel manufacturers the use of Polygon rifling is one option to counter barrel burning in the fast calibers...a three groove barrel with three degrees leads ...this is features that will slow degeneration of a barrel when it is a barrel burner caliber... Any comments members???

According to a prominent barrel manufacturer in the USA : This has not been announced yet, but we are bringing in a new steel, formulated by us to take this kind of wear better.

User

Members here is a explanation in regards to what Polygon rifling is:
    http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/...whitworth.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Hein, thank you...Hein, do they use these calibers for target shooting, gong shooting or mainly for hunting purposes??? How intense is ghong shooting with these barrel burning calibers???
    Hi Gert
    They use it for all three long range formats, super league, ALRHA gong shoots,and most of the guys do long range hunting with them as well.
    The barrel burners gives you awesome ballistic performance but unfortunately comes at a price.
    I like to practice for first round hits and although my LR caliber is not a barrel burner it helps to know your load/rifle better and also keeps barrel wear down a bit. I normally only shoot strings of 5 to 7 shots in competition depending on the format. If you go for a barrel burner go for the best BC( heaviest )bullet you can get your hands on to get the most of what the caliber has to offer.
    It’s most likely not going to be the longest barrel life but surely is a lot of fun to shoot something like that long range.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    Hi Gert
    They use it for all three long range formats, super league, ALRHA gong shoots,and most of the guys do long range hunting with them as well.
    The barrel burners gives you awesome ballistic performance but unfortunately comes at a price.
    I like to practice for first round hits and although my LR caliber is not a barrel burner it helps to know your load/rifle better and also keeps barrel wear down a bit. I normally only shoot strings of 5 to 7 shots in competition depending on the format. If you go for a barrel burner go for the best BC( heaviest )bullet you can get your hands on to get the most of what the caliber has to offer.
    It’s most likely not going to be the longest barrel life but surely is a lot of fun to shoot something like that long range.

Hallo Hein, I think you hit the nail on it`s head...using this 6.5x68 caliber as a fun shooting /hunting rifle is the key to my motivation of wanting to build such a rifle when I completed the 8x68S build...in the European countries the 6.5x68 is seen as a perfect long range hunting rifle ...no one there see it as a barrel burner at all..so I think it is just a case of different views of how this caliber will be applied and use...maybe the big dis-advantage of this caliber is the scarce brass but I can get brass when ever I want it, nothing is too scarce to get on the internet,,....re-loading dies would be another item I can get fairly easy..I will have a reamer when my 8x68 barrel is arriving shortly, so it is really not difficult to get this caliber to make sense in a economical and financial way..
    Here is a link you will appreciate with your positive attitude towards fast , flat shooting calibers that you enjoy to shoot..this person thinks like you..
    https://revivaler.com/the-6-5x68-schuler/

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast