Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rifle barrels that will withstand a barrel burner caliber - 6.5X68S

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    414Gates, thank you kindly..will see if there is a company who make barrels with this type of steel..
    Andre Mojet uses 416R, think he has rebranded his business to Accugun it was MH Arms.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Gert what is the specs on your reamer (neck and throat)what neck clearance are you looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Hein, it will be the CIP standard reamer from Pacific Tool & Gauge .They have quite a lot on the shelf...This is an example from a Wilson company ...
    Wilson-Cartridge-Case-Trimmer-www.loaddata.com6_.5x681.gif

User

Good, members, I decided to purchase a 6.5x68S Shilen barrel, I bought the re-loading dies already...I have about one hundred 6.5x68S brass ..the chamber will be reamed to 0.002 " ( not complete) as well without cutting thread ..I will purchase a reamer when completed my 8x68S rifle build..both rifle barrels will come in during July...so it is my plan to build two identical hunting rifles ..one in a 8x68S caliber and the second one in a 6.5x68S caliber..

I would like to know what your suggestions would be for the following rifling twist in a 28" inch , heavy Magnum sportster Shilen barrel ....I want to shoot 140 gn bullets ..since this will ensure a longer barrel life when using heavy for caliber bullets...as in a hunting rifle...

Banned

Gert - your OP regarding barrel life. After a incident I witnessed a few years back I am convinced that the changing of how you shoot at the range will add at least 50% to your shots fired life. You shoot, you deliver heat to throat, but not enough to erode it away. Barrel at throat is x hot, but not at erosion heat yet, you shoot again 20 seconds later and the barrel was already at X heat when you added to heat, repeat and i wonder if the barrel is not glowing or near to glowing hot at throat area - now each shot does damage, start the count now. If you had shot one shot and had total cool down, would there be enough heat to do damage as fast ?. Barrel burners, should perhaps be shot very much slower.
    The incident I speak of : Had a bloke with my other love caliber, 220 swift, he inherited rifle and perhaps 500 cartridges ??? ( two shoe box's). The rifle was a Husky. When we went to farm he would put up cans and bits a pieces targets and then sit and shoot two box's out in a matter of minutes, put up 20/30 things as targets and shoot till he had to go put up targets again. When he got rifle I was interested in trying to wangle it some how for self, and it was sweet had only like 1.5 20 round box's shot out and empties put in factory pack box back of original 500 or so, it was a good rifle. It was likely the third time we met again and he was saying it would not shoot a shoe box at 100 m. He had only shot 13 maybe 14 of the 20 round packs out, but in 40/50 shot almost strings of shoot as you can reload. I knew this rifle by envying it and studying deeply and it was destroyed in what I am confident to say was less than 400 rounds.I could not get any bullet to within a centimeter of lands. I therefore started thinking how one shoots is VERY much a barrel life determiner.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Uhm

Ok before I agree with you, lets just have the talk.
    I doubt there is anybody on gunsite that does more planning than you, some of the stuff you do are very meticulous :)

Now, people can plan how they want to lose weight all they want, but planning means nothing, they just have to get up early in the morning and go for a walk or a jog.
    You are not even half way with the 8x build and you are planning the next. Now you can read up on shooting but the most schooling happens behind the trigger.

I will agree with you caliber selection, since it will mean something to you personally.
    That said, my advice, less planning and more shooting.
    Messor, Johan Greyling said I am the only person he knows of that commence with a new parts rifle build project..by the time I am finished with the build it is then classified as a vintage rifle...
    Messor, the reason it seems I am planning meticulous is that I need to take the opportunity when it comes my way..I had only a day or two to decide to buy a set of 6.5x68S re-loading dies..since it was up for sale..not an item that is always around for R500 ...I then managed to get a Shilen barrel for R3640 , 30" inches , magnum sportster profile, 1:8 twist , I already have a lot of brass..RWS brass..a piece of Wall nut blank, and a Mauser action , all I need now is a reamer..but that I will bring in to SA in August...in the meantime I am busy completing the metal work on the Obendorf M98 action ....since I am busy building the 8x68S I have time to collect all the components of the 6.5 x 68S...

Here is a good write up I sourced from the internet:

By Chuck Hawks
    The advantage of deep penetration conferred by the excellent sectional density of 6.5mm big game bullets should not be underestimated. It is the secret of the 6.5mm cartridge's success. It is what allows 6.5mm bullets to get deep inside of even large animals, where they can do the most damage.For instance, the light 120 grain 6.5mm bullet has a SD of .246, the same as a 165 grain .30 caliber bullet. The 125 grain 6.5mm bullet has a SD of .256, equal to that of a 170 grain .30 caliber bullet. The medium weight 140 grain 6.5mm bullet has an outstanding SD of .287, which is essentially the same as a 190 grain .30 caliber match bullet. And the heavy 160 grain 6.5mm bullet has a SD of .328, about like a 220 grain .30 caliber bullet. Ponder these comparisons for a moment and it becomes clear why the 6.5's kill almost as well as the larger calibers, but with much less recoil and muzzle blast.

Banned

look here Gert
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/...d-barrel-life/

Note the mention of heat build up I so believe in.

Banned

And this white paper by Australian Defence
    http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n-wpen...el-erosion.pdf

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    look here Gert
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/...d-barrel-life/

Note the mention of heat build up I so believe in.
    Treeman, thank you kindly, yes, I agree, shooting a hunting rifle like a machine gun will increase the barrel wear , sand blasting effect. It is like spinning your vehicle from robot to robot..excessive wear on the tyres, but the clutch will take a lot of strain as well..fortunately there really is not opportunities to shoot a hunting rifle that much..at least not me that have other calibers I love to shoot , my 404 Jeffery and the .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer ...and the 8x57JS..when the 8x68S build is complete I am sure it will be another favorite to shoot as well...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post

Here is a good write up I sourced from the internet:

By Chuck Hawks
    The advantage of deep penetration conferred by the excellent sectional density of 6.5mm big game bullets should not be underestimated. It is the secret of the 6.5mm cartridge's success. It is what allows 6.5mm bullets to get deep inside of even large animals, where they can do the most damage.For instance, the light 120 grain 6.5mm bullet has a SD of .246, the same as a 165 grain .30 caliber bullet. The 125 grain 6.5mm bullet has a SD of .256, equal to that of a 170 grain .30 caliber bullet. The medium weight 140 grain 6.5mm bullet has an outstanding SD of .287, which is essentially the same as a 190 grain .30 caliber match bullet. And the heavy 160 grain 6.5mm bullet has a SD of .328, about like a 220 grain .30 caliber bullet. Ponder these comparisons for a moment and it becomes clear why the 6.5's kill almost as well as the larger calibers, but with much less recoil and muzzle blast.
    Gert, this topic is kind of interesting when you understand all the variables, but also a downer for some when they face reality.

In the olden days when they worried about SD in relation to penetration when talking expanding bullets people often forgot about the sacrifice. When you increase the weight of a bullet then you lose something, speed, and speed is the thing that destroys soft bullets. Speed does not aid penetration, empirical tests shows the opposite.

How to explain, well a 7x57 is known for good performance, in the SA bushveld it killed many animals with 150gr bullets. But it's not because of SD, actually this combo have a poor SD of .266
    Now, in the same breath many people used the 270win, also with 150gr bullets, this time with an SD of .279, nearly that of a 140gr 6.5 bullet, yes absolutely nobody talked about it's phenomenal penetration. The answer is simple, SD had nothing to do with it, the 7x57 performed so well because it underperformed from the start. The same goes for 160gr in 6.5 sweed, it performed so well because it underperformed so well.

AKA, they did well because of their slow velocity, nothing more, not their SD.

Modern 6.5 shooters that want penetration shoot lightweight monolithic bullets, often in the 120gr class, they outperform the heavier offerings in standard construction by some margin. Other less informed modern 6.5 shooters makes this scenario FAR worse, they choose high BC target design bullets and think penetration will magically be a given because of SD values, they cannot be more wrong. In fact I am kind of tired of hearing this nonsense, 6.5 shooters that read the word penetration somewhere but cannot place it in a factual sense in any discussion, since they don't know any facts, they work in hearsay.

If you shoot them olden 160 gr bullets, on game performance will be phenomenal.
    If you want that SAME performance but a reasonable trajectory the 120gr monolithic does exactly the same in penetration, yet with a MASSIVE difference in SD.

You understand now Gert, old chuck says what people want to hear, not what they need to hear.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast